Views
Helpful
Replies

DSL Routing

pranav_motiwala
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two 2811 Routers. Can I connect them using DSL lines from ISP on two ends? What would I need to implement it. It is just for connecting two offices.

Thanks,

Pranav.

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, if you don't need encryption, simply use gree tunnels;

int tunnel0

ip address

ip mtu 1476

tunnel destination

tunnel source

keepalive

ip route tunnel 0

Nothing else is required.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Can I have one WIC card on each side of the router and assign it the public IP given by the ISP and define a static route on it?

thanks again.

Pranav

Yes, the static default route.

Please complete your basic configuration first, make sure from inside you can access the internet, then do the tunnel configuration.

So all I need is two DSL modems and two routers that connects in this fashion:

RJ11->DSL Modem->Ethernet interface of DSL Modem -> E0/0 of Router -> Switch.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate.

Or can I have the RJ11 plug in directly into the WIC card of the router?

Thanks,

Pranav.

Yes, the dsl line goes into the dls wic. But you need to configure the router first, for this you need to ask your ISP, if they use PPP or what else, end the VPI/VCI values.

Be aware that if you have never done it before, it can be very difficult to get routers to do what you want, so consider hiring someone experienced.

[edit - forgot to thank you for the nice rating and good luck. Come back once you got the info from your ISP]

Thanks a lot for your answers and helping me with paitence.

I have one more query to his subject:

Can I extend my LAN to site B. That is I want to have one subnet on both the sites. Is it possible using DSL line or do I have to go by Lease lines?

thanks,

Pranav.

By all means avoid having the same subnet on both sites because that would make everything more difficult. All your applications will work with two different subnets, do not worry about it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card