Views
Helpful
Replies

Loading 7970 7.0.3 firmware on CM 6.0

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have just discovered a 7970 phone in a wiring closet that we have never used. It is running firmware 2.9.1, and obviously needs to be upgraded. However, I know that you shouldn't upgrade directly to 8.x, you have to stop at 7.x in between.

With my previous 7970s, I just loaded 7.0.3 on my CME, upgraded the phones, and then removed 7.0.3 and loaded the current 8.x version. Well, I no longer have the CME, I have CM6.0.

Is there a way to install the 7970 firmware version 7.0.3 onto CM6.0 in order to provide that interim load for the 7970? I only have the firmware files themselves, not a CM5.x/6.x install file. Is that even a supported configuration, or would I screw something up?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Reply 1

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can't find any reference in our internal databse about having to load a 7.X release before an 8.0 release - you should be OK to define the phone under the CCM admin and confirm the device default load is a version 8.X release. Then plug the handset in and it should upgrade and register.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: