Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1401 and PPPoE

matthewplatten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Bugging problem there, Is there a way I could connect a Cisco1401 (ATM25 output) on a DSL line in pppoE and if yes, what kind of modem should I use ?

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would need a modem wih an ATM25 interface.

These simply do not exist today, and I don't think they really ever did.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

They existed - at least in Germany - but they're almost gone. Ours have an ethernet connector and a "native" ATM-port. You connect to ethernet, if you want PPPoE (ATM terminated in the modem, "translated" to PPPoE) or you connect to the ATM-port for an ATMoDSL-connection.

We use them for terminating a few ATMoDSL lines with (3662) routers that did not support HWIC-DSL but NM-ATM modules.

Because they're only applicable for low speed DSL, and only a few people ever needed "raw" ATM they disappeared in the last few years.

Maybe Matthew can find one on european eb*y auctions.

Cool, this would be the solution then, connecting this kind of modem on the DSL line (RJ11) an just punching in the Cisco1401 Router on the ATM25 on the LAN side ?

could you tell me more about these modems ? (Name, type, Do you have any old ones for Sale ? )

I'm sorry, but there not for sale (we still need the few that are left) and i was not able to find a type/model in our documentation. (They are in use far away at customer sites...)

By the way: You need a modem, that has the correct dsl-interface (e.g. UR-2/1TR112, G.992.3, S102 080), or you won't be able to connect it to your local dsl! Ask your provider - or wikipedia ;-) - which is the correct type for your dsl.

And of course you need a provider that still uses ATM towards the customer - at least some ISPs switched to PPPoE lines - your modem won't see any ATM, if they don't use it... ;-)

ok, thanks for the Advicemate. Actually I think I remember in my previous life using a lucent ATM25 to DSL modem, but actually I'm not sure this would give me a PPPoE connectivity on my DSL provider. Here in Egypt, getting a simple info like 'What protocol do you use' is a immense challenge you see :)

could you confirm me that a ATM25 input DSL router would allow me to connect on a PPPoE DSL ?

Does your 1401 currently accepts the pppoe commands ? If it does, you would be able to.

well there is ppp int. what kind of routine should you recommand me ?

Like:

interface ATM0

pvc 8/35

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

Muuummhhh.. doesn't look like it :( On an other hand maybe I should update the firmware before. The one I'm running is version Experimental 12.0 .. :D

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: