cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Profile during VPN install, v5 Windows client?

converged
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

wondering if anyone has a method for users to install the VPN client, and install a Profile at the same time (I realise creating the profile manually is not arduous but have been asked to find a 1 step method)

I read:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client46/administration/guide/vcAch2.html#wp1155029

which says:

"Copy the VPN Client software files from the distribution CD-ROM into each directory where you created an vpnclient.ini (global) file and separate connection profiles for a set of users."

I tried putting a .pcf in the unzipped VPN installer, but it didn't get installed.

I tried putting it in a folder called Profiles, in there too, but it didn't get installed.

I'm working with:

vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.02.0090-k9.exe

I don't see administrator notes for the v5 client, all I see is release notes.

Maybe I need to create an MSI transform?

Thanks for any tips.

Neil.

4 Replies 4

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Create a new txt file and name it new_update_config.ini. Put in the following entry in the file, in order to update only the profiles and not the VPN client:

[Update]

Version=1

FileName=profiles.zip

MaxSize=7000

[Autoupdate]

Required=1

where, Version is the version number for the administrator to track the revisions; the profiles or the VPN client does not have to do anything with this version field. profiles.zip is the name of the file or similar to the file, which you have created. MaxSize is the size of the file is the actual size of more than 5000 bytes; it does not have to be the actual file size.

Create a new profile and keep it in profiles.zip. You have to create profiles.zip file. On the VPN Concentrator, in order to tell that a new revision is available, choose Configuration > System > Client Update > Entries. Click on the entry and choose Modify on the Revision field. Enter Update-4.8-1 or something similar. Try the client connection. The client should upgrade the .PCF file.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking to help people who are installing the VPN client for the first time, by installing the profile along with it too, rather than updating existing profiles.

We're connecting back to an IOS router, rather than VPN Concentrator.

Many thanks, Neil.

eagle117
Level 1
Level 1

As mentioned in another thread here, there is a bug in the installer. If there is a dash in the path anywhere, then the PCF files will not be copied. I had to rename the folder that it self-extracted as so it did not contain any dashes and then it worked perfectly.

KenCoggin
Level 1
Level 1

You could create a transform. However, I'm deploying it with the PCF's by simply copying them to the Profiles folder and updating PROFILES.INI with the default name. All this in a batch file.