CCNA Advise needed

Unanswered Question
junshah22 Sun, 02/03/2008 - 21:24

Very Sad,,

I also failed in CCNA but 640-801 thrice, with 480, 796, 821, and then 640-801 expired,

now planning to attempt in parts, means CCENT then CCNA,

can you please tell me, what kind of scenario you faced in 802, is that was same as 801?

Questions will definitely different as cisco has added many things in it, like wLAN, VPN, IP-v6 etc etc,

Also tell me what study material you are using??? and how much it is useful vs exam

I can feel your feelings very well,

Regards,

Junaid

knarffrank Tue, 02/05/2008 - 10:26

Hi Junaid! can i ask what study materials did you have or study? what kind of study habits did you apply? how come you failed thrice? I'm here to help..

Thanks.

Here what happened in my second attempt.

I answered till 47th Question and 48th was a

simlet which asked to design as well as configure the devices.I had 12 minutes. It took me 6 minutes to read and start. So i left it half and went forward for 4 questions. So even though I knew how to solve the simlet I had to leave it in half and proceed.

Actually I am preparing by just solving Test Questions lots and lots of them. I had cleared my 640-501 long back and have a little it of experience.

Anxiety levels grows in tests.

Please advise.

Thanks

dbeare Tue, 02/05/2008 - 11:53

If you are having difficulty with managing the time aspect of the test, my guess is that you need to know the material better. I wouldn't prepare by just answering questions, I would prepare by reading information and setting up labs. 90 minutes is more than enough time to finish the 640-802, in my opinion. The multiple choice questions should require under 1 minute, preferably 30 seconds or less, to answer. This gives plenty of time on the simlets and simulations.

jrensink78 Tue, 02/05/2008 - 08:22

You should have received a report showing how well you did in different subject areas on the test. Let us know which areas that you seem to struggle with the most.

dbeare Tue, 02/05/2008 - 08:56

You would be best to list the sections that you struggled the most with, as your printed report should break down how you scored. Personally, I read through the CCNA 640-802 book by Todd Lammle and the ICND1 and ICND2 Cisco Press books twice each. Get equipment at home, practice on it often.

Know your subnetting, know how EIGRP, OSPF and RIP are set up. Know WAN, HDLC, PPP and how they are configured. Know how VLANs and VTP are configured and how they work, along with how to encapsulate them. Make sure you know how to set up standard and extended ACLs. Know the basics of wireless and IPv6. All of this is stuff that if you know, you should be able to pass the 640-802. The test is not easy, from what I've heard about the old exams, there is an expectation to know more than before. Best of luck.

marksh9481 Tue, 02/05/2008 - 12:48

Hi,

I took my CCNA exam 2 weeks ago and got 709 out of 825. I know exactly what i failed on (mainly frame realy and WLans) but also one of my labs was on NAT & PAT and using ACL's, I knew what I was meant to do but could not get my head round it, I have since found the answer to this question and kicked myself hard as if I had got that I would have probably passed the exam.

I have re-scheduled my exam for within the next 2 weeks, just hope I get similar questions.

But I would strongly recommend looking at WLANS (basics), frame-relay, NAT & PAT and I got alot on subnetting questions, which I was quite suprised and scored very highly on!

Br4xt0n41 Tue, 02/05/2008 - 14:10

passed on my secnd attempt, noticed that i had not completely read the last simulation, therefore totally ignoring and 2 set of intructions. I would suggest you use the icnd and intro questions on cisco site and possible Lammes CCNA for 802, if scoring 90+ percentile on both should be good. also focuse on layer 2 and 3 routing. Make sure you understand subnetting and nat translations.

rossdavidson Wed, 02/06/2008 - 04:52

Hello,

I am also looking for a bit of advice in preparing for my ccna exam.

I studied the CCNA 801 material at university, using the online modules available in the net academy. We were not however given the chance to sit the final exam.

Seeing as it has been about 9months since I last studied any Cisco I am obviously a bit rusty! I plan to sit my exam at the beginning of April, this should give me enough time to swot up again. I do feel like I have forgotten a lot but I'm sure it would come back to me quick enough.

Do you suggest I purchase the 802 books or are the 801 books I have good enough?

What can I use to practice labs?

Any help much appreciated!

Ross

dbeare Wed, 02/06/2008 - 07:54

You need to study the 802 material, there is substantial new material, mainly Wireless and IPv6, that has been added. ISDN is no longer part of the CCNA as well. I would recommend the Sybex 640-802 book, along with the Cisco Press books to study with.

knarffrank Wed, 02/06/2008 - 17:23

How was the SDM configurations went out? was it really hard or tough?

Actions

This Discussion