cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP impact on routers

c.wigglesworth
Level 1
Level 1

We are about to deploy a WAAS network with 16 remote sites. We will have 4 WAE-612 at the core site and 1 (or 2 at a few key sites) WAE-512 at the remote sites. The core site is connected to the WAN (MPLS IP VPN from a service provider) with a 2851 which we intend using to do WCCP redirection. At the remote ends 2811 will do the WCCP redirection. The remote links vary from 2Mbit/s to 10Mbit/s, with the core link currently being 30Mbit/s (although this is likely to increase soon to 50Mbit/s). The core link averages about 20Mbit/s during the day, peaking at about 28Mbit/s for small periods.

Will the 2851 and 2811 routers be quick enough to do the WCCP redirection or would it be better to buy some 3560 switches for the core? On the 2800 routers what method would be best to use, IP forwarding or negotiated return? There are no free interfaces, so the IP forwarding would have to be done using sub-interfaces.

As part of the project we will be migrating mail and file service to the core. I realise that until we put it all in and see the what the traffic is, we will not know for sure what we will need, but I would welcome recommendations on router or switch choices.

Cheers Chris.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Chris,

The platforms you have in place should be ok. Our testing has shown the 2851 can exceed 500Mbps throughput when WCCP is enabled and the 2811 can reach almost 100Mbps.

Zach

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Chris,

The platforms you have in place should be ok. Our testing has shown the 2851 can exceed 500Mbps throughput when WCCP is enabled and the 2811 can reach almost 100Mbps.

Zach

Hi Zach,

Did this factor in GRE return? Also, is there anything documented anywhere about the performance hit on the routers when using WCCP? I have been looking around and can't seem to find anything. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I think the performance hit depends on the circuit size and other services your running on your routers. For instance, when I had WAAS in our lab I tried to push 10Mb using WCCP through a 2621 and it ran at 95% cpu. I'll bet though a 2621 will push WCCP over a T1 and perform just fine. I run our data center WAE using WCCP on two 7204VXR-NPEG2's and push almost two DS3's of optimized traffic no problem.

HTH

The biggest performance hit on legacy routers is not the WCCP process itself, but rather the increased levels of throughput that are generated from the WAE. Due to the compression technologies in WAAS, a T1 worth of compressed traffic can decode into tens or hundreds of Mbps of output. Older routers can't sustain these throughput rates.

Zach

Hi,

I am looking for a transparent caching solution (7206VXR-NPEG2 + BlueCoat) for my data center. It seems that you deployed a similar one.

May I have the figure about the performance hit or CPU loading of 7204VXR-NPEG2 when WCCP is turned on?

By the way, what kind of caching applicant you used?

Thanks!

GRE return was not factored in. The impact of WCCP is highly dependent on the other features enabled in the router. Your account SE has access to WCCP-only performance numbers that can be shared.

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: