cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP issue

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I'm trunked to my internet service provider for a ethernet handoff. I keep recieving:

%SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: Version 1 device detected on Gi1/26 after grace period has ended

I am using version 2 but thats not the point. I do not want the isp receiving any vtp advertisements, joins, etc.

How do I prevent port g1/26 from receiving vtp advertisements?

I need the rest of my network to receive vtp.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think the way is to configure ur vtp mode as transparent so that the vtp need not be propogated to isp.The only thing is u need to then manualy configure for the vlans.

Another method that came 2 my mind is to block the multicast mac address (0100.000c.cccc) on which vtp messages are send using mac access-list.but the problem is the same mac is used by DTP messages also.so i thing its better to trunk unconditionaly(ie,nonegotiation)and then block the vtp messages on the interface..

arun

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

fernandezcarlos
Level 1
Level 1

Why does your Gi1/26 have to be configured as a trunk?

If its configured switchport mode access, VTP should not be a problem.

Cheers,

Carlos

Because its an eWan where we pass 3 different vlans to our other site.

I think the way is to configure ur vtp mode as transparent so that the vtp need not be propogated to isp.The only thing is u need to then manualy configure for the vlans.

Another method that came 2 my mind is to block the multicast mac address (0100.000c.cccc) on which vtp messages are send using mac access-list.but the problem is the same mac is used by DTP messages also.so i thing its better to trunk unconditionaly(ie,nonegotiation)and then block the vtp messages on the interface..

arun

hi,

As arun said you can configure VTP mode transperrent.But if you are using VTP v2 then the transperent mode still fwd the VTP advertisements on its trunk port without checking the doamin name.

So in my opinion change the domain name of your VTP domain so even if you recieved the VTP advertisements they are discarded at your end.This is the simplest method to use.

I preassume some things here such as you are manageing the VLANS and you are handling the entire enetwork plus there are no other issues while manually configuring the VALNS.Plus you do not want to propagate the SP's VTP advertisements in your network but want to flood your own VTP advertisements. (Correct me if i am wrong)

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

excellent..arun you rock!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card