cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private VLAN between Cisco switch and other vendor switch or firewall

tmsundar81
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone plz help me in understanding the tagging of private vlan on trunk ports.

I have a trunk link between nokia firewall and cisco 3750 switch, there are some servers in private vlan in the switch and need to communicate to a server behind the firewall, can just a trunk link between the firewall and the switch suffice (consider the firewall in not blocking any traffic)

2 Replies 2

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

Most non-Cisco 802.1q switches maintain only a single instance of spanning tree, known as Mono Spanning Tree (MST), that defines the spanning-tree topology for all VLANs. When a Cisco switch is connected to a non-Cisco switch through an 802.1q trunk, the MST of the non-Cisco switch and the native VLAN spanning tree of the Cisco switch combine in order to form a single spanning tree topology, known as the Common Spanning Tree (CST).

Thanks for the info but i need to understand the tagging between a cisco switch and a non cisco switch...say i have a private vlan on a cisco switch and i am connecting to a non cisco switch (nokia fw) and i ahave a trunk link between (only trunk link)between then..in such case can a reach the private vlan from nokia fw via the trunk link

or do i need to have a seperate link for the private vlan between cisco switch and nokia fw (promiscuous port on cisco switch end)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card