cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Requirements for BGP

kcgeorge1218
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few Cisco 2500s that I would like configure BGP. What's the recommended minimum memory & IOS that I would need to get started.

Thx in advance

4 Replies 4

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For testing purposes or for production network connected to internet?

BGP runs in 2500 using ENTERPRISE PLUS or SERVICE PROVIDER IOS Feature Set which is only available for 2500 in 12.2 IOS Mainline.

Since BGP internet full route (240K+ prefixes) requires at least 512MB DRAM, you can ask your upstream ISP to advertise only default route to you. You can also block incoming route advertisements from your upstream and just put a default route yourself, at least you can still advertise your ASN and prefix

Regards,

Dandy

These routers are already in production. Making the move to a MPLS cloud via BGP as the routing protocol. Just wanted to know if there was a min IOS release for the 2500s as they are no longer supported by Cisco. The current code is a 12.2(23a), hope that is supported...

The latest IOS for 2500 is 12.2(32)GD, only ENTERPRISE PLUS and SERVICE PROVIDER feature set supports BGP.

http://www.bgpexpert.com/archive2004q1.php

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

If you are going to receive full routes from the Peer then you will need at least 256k for the routing table you will receive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: