cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7921 PEAP and Microsoft IAS

aciscolook
Level 1
Level 1

I just set up a 7921 to authenticate using PEAP, a WLC 4402 as a Radius Client to a Microsoft IAS. The phone authenticated but I hadn't even installed a Trusted Root Certificate on the phone to validate the MS IAS server's machine certificate. Does 7921 PEAP not require server validation by default? IF so, how can I enable this important security feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

7921 PEAP implementation does not validate the authentication server cert.

We may look into this for the future.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

7921 PEAP implementation doesn't require and doesn't allow local client certificate to be installed.

I know that PEAP doesn't require client certificate. I meant my radius server's machine certificate is from a Windows domain issued by a windows Certificate Authority. I never installed the Trusted Root Authority cetificate into the 7921 phone so how can it validate the radius server's certificate unless it doesn't validate by default. If this is the case how can I force the 7921 client to validate server's certificate?

7921 PEAP implementation does not validate the authentication server cert.

We may look into this for the future.

Thanks again for the information.

Hi,

I was wondering if this response about PEAP not validating the server cert is still valid today?

Thanks,

Michel

Yes in 1.1(1) firmware it does not have the capability to use a client certificate to validate the server identity, but this will be in the next release 1.2(1) that is coming out shortly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card