cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static route

ssweehin
Level 1
Level 1

The connection between side A and side B has 3 routers (router A, router B and router C). Currently, there is a problem to do the network load balancing so that most of the network traffic will go through router A and B from side A to side B. However, the router A and router B are not able to handle so much network traffic during peak peroid. If divert the network traffic from router A and router B to router C by using static route, will be useful? or it will create 1 more hop to slow down the network performance?

8 Replies 8

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please add a toplogy diagram for better understa nding of your problem.

-amit singh

Here u go...

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you load-balancing right now between the sites. If you are using the static routes load-balancing then you can add another static route and achieve the load-balancing. I would suggest to use OSPF/EIGRP routing protocol to achieve auto-matci load-balancing between the sites. EIGRP will specifically give you more granular control as you can load-balance among the links with variable bandwidth.

HTH,

-amit singh

temporarily, we do not decide to use the load balancing right now. What i concern is if we add static route on router A and router B to divert the traffic for certain IP to router C, will it slow down the traffic?

Hi,

There is no direct connection from router A or B to router C. Hence I doubt, how would u add a static route from router A/B pointing to C.

Ya, you can configure static routes for diff destination n/ws pointing to router A/B/C. f.e. if there are total 6 destn n/w, u can config two static routes for 2 destination n/w to each of the routers A,B & C.

The diagram that i provided is not so clear. That is why u didn't see the link between router A, B, C.

If configure stactic routes from router A and B point to router C, will it slow down the performance?

Hi,

If u config static route from A/B to C, then it will create extra hop only. Because both of these routers can reach side A/B directly and no need to send traffic to router C and then to side A/B. In this case, it may slow down traffic because of extra hop.

Ya, I agree with u at this point. However, the router A and router B are unable to handle so many network traffic during peak period. Any suggestion resolve this problem?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card