cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMPS Reconfirm

ryan.bachman
Level 1
Level 1

Hoping someone can answer my question about VMPS. I recently configured a Cat4000 to act as my VMPS server. Things worked initially, until I had to make modification to the text file that VMPS is pulling from. I manually uploaded the text file back onto the 4000 by issuing the commands

set vmps state disable

set vmps state enable

And continue to do so anytime I have to update the text file. I ran into an issue this morning though, when I realized that there were about 14 printers that fell offline, by defaulting to the fallback vlan, and not that of their respective vlans that they were supposed to be in. A manual reboot of each printer fixed the situation.

What I suspect might have happened is while I was disabling/re-enabling VMPS, the VQP must have attempted a reconfirm, and it failed.

I guess my question is, is there a way to reconfirm, or download changes you make to the text file, without disabling the service, and can this be automated in anyway?

I know the VMPS is an outdated technology, and am planning to move to 802.1x, but we are running into issues about cross platform EAP support since we have a mixed platform network. I have OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, and Red Hat desktops boxes that all need a simple solution for dynamic vlan assignment.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

1 Reply 1

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

For step-by-step instructions on how to configure a Cisco Catalyst switch as a VLAN Management Policy Server (VMPS), refer to the Configure VMPS section of Configuring Dynamic Port VLAN Membership with VMPS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/catos/4.5/configuration/guide/vmps.html#wp2574

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card