cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blade Switch Cisco 3020 for HP Blade Enclosures

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Not sure where to post this question. Is there a BEST PRACTICES DOCUMENT on how to connect / configure Cisco 3020 Blade Switches to the CORE network and to the servers.

If 3020 in Left slot is connected via 3020 in right slot and Core switch A and Core Switch B are trunked in between them will there be a problem with this config or will spanning tree block one port either on Core switch A or B or left 3020 or right 3020?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Spanning-tree will block one of the connections as these are Cisco switches and support PVST+.

What we do is turn off the connection between the left and right 3020 switches in the chassis and then connect each 3020 switch to both 6500 switches, the classic triangle shape.

As long as you set STP priority for vlans on the core switches you should be fine.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for your immediate reply. Also is there any URL / Link to Best practices for configuring 3020 and also for configuring the way the management interface (I think it is called OAM module) is connected to the 3020?

i.e. Should we use the backplane management connection or connect the 3020 front port to the OAM.

Hi

Apologies for delay in replying.

Cisco have a design guide for intergrating these switches into the data centre. Go to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html#anchor3

and the one you want is

Data Center Blade Server Integration Guide.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon. I will downlaod and read the pdf file.

Jon,

According to the link you pointed, the file I downloaded is for CGESM. Is that the same for 3020 Cisco Switching Module?

Thanks You

Alphonse

Alphonse

To all intents and purposes yes the principles of deployment are the same.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: