Helpful
Replies

Parameterized configuration in RME

roger.malik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i am using the paramterized scripting to configure banner motd command in which

name and location of router changes. but when i configure it & login into router it gives all the notice and details in one line while i need attached format. any idea how can i achieve it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I checked the code, and it looks like parameterized templates and multiline commands are mutually exclusive. I don't see why this was done, and I can't think of a good reason why these two would be exclusive.

I can provide a patch to fix this, but you will need to contact the TAC to get it. Have your engineer contact me directly, and I will send them the patch.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Replace NAME with $name and location with $location. Then define your parameter "XML" file:

Earth

Actually, I think I misunderstood your problem. You have the template, but you're not getting the correct banner. When you define a multi-line command, you need to use the multi-line capability in Netconfig. Basically, you surround your banner with tags:

banner motd ...

See http://server/help/rme/fundamentals/netcfg_MultilineCmds.html in the RME online help for more details.

Hi clarke

Can I use in Template? if yes whre i need to put in

thanks a lot

Yes, you can use it in a template. You surround your banner command in the textarea with the tags. Just take your existing template, and surround the whole banner command with .

Please check if this is correct.

banner motd ^c line ^c

if this correct then how can i fetch it form netconfig job, since no parameter is passed, if suggest if it wrong.

No. Your template within the Netconfig GUI should be:

banner motd "------------------------------------------------------------------------

$name: $location

------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: This is a private network device. If you are not authorized

to connect or configure this device, disconnect at once! Actual

or attempted use, access, examination, or configuration change by an

unauthorized person will result in criminal and civil

prosecution to the full extent of the law."

Then, your parameter "XML" file should be similar to the one I provided in my first post.

Hi Clarke,

i did try that but banner is not changing though it says job is successful

i fetch bannerscript file from user defined job and then fetch XML file in job. both th e file are attached.

kindly suggest

hey clarke any ideas on this, i am not get desir result tried serveral time now.

This looks okay. I need to see a screenshot of your user-defined template within the Netconfig UI.

sorry for late response clarke as i was out of shift, iam attaching you screenshot of user define template.

Hi Clarke,

please ignore my previous post, i am attaching screen again.

point to add from my side is when i put "^c"

as delimiter my job after doen't get save however when i put doublecolon (") as delimiter it get saves but doesnot change the banner on router.

its stranged behaviour, can you please look into it.

^C will not work. You should use double quotes as the delimiter. to troubleshoot why the deployment is not working, you can get a sniffer trace (if using telnet, TFTP, or RCP to deploy the config) or enable RME Config Job debugging, then look at the job log for the deployment job ID.

Hi Clarke attaching job log after enable debugging for config job.

still not able to figure what the issue is.

This isn't the log, or debug wasn't properly enabled. All of the information pertaining to the job will be found under NMSROOT\files\rme\jobs\NetconfigJob\JOBID.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: