cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

effect of GSHB

romain.peretti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm working on Gain Spectral Hole Burning on EDFA (local compression of the Gain spectrum around a strong signal).

I'm writting a repport and I wonder if somone know what this GSHB pb do in "real life" ( I mean in DWDM telecomunication system).

2 Replies 2

Michael Dooley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Romain, My name is Mike and I work in the Optical TAC group here at Cisco. Can you tell me a bit more about the GSBH pb you have? Like any kind of part numbers? We use EDFA technology in several of our products to push multiple wavelengths through long lengths of fiber. We prevent the local compression of the gain spectrum by making sure all of the waves going into the EDFA are the same power level.

Thank you Mike for your answer.

Actually I'm working as PhD student in a French university. We study problem of GSHB in EDFA in a research way. I mean, we try to understand and modelling the phenomenon. So I don't “have” problem with GSHB, I'm just trying to explain it.

Now I m writing my thesis, and my first chapter is about EDFA system in a WDM use, and problem of GSHB in this system.

At the beginning of my PhD, I heard (in some discussion) that GSHB may limit the number of channel on line. My question is, was this affirmation real or not (for example FWM isn't a strongest limitation?) ? I don't find any paper talking about effect of GSHB in real telecommunication line. And are there other effects of GSHB on real telecommunication line.

Thank you again

Romain

PS: When I say “real” line, I mean not a lab one, a line “sellable”.