cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 Dect Query

networkdefence
Level 1
Level 1

We have a customer who currently uses ccm 4.1.3. They wish to use Dect phones on a new site. In the past with various dect systems, these have been analogue and so we can plug the dect system into a vg248 which is fine.

However now a 3rd party we use now has a new IP based Dect system for which can link into various telephone systems using H.323. What I would like to know in basics is how technically this could be done to link this Dect IP Based system to the call manager and a voice gateway.

Looking at the ccm you can add a H.323 gateway to the system so i'm assuming you need to do this, but apart from that i'm not sure what else needs to be done?

I take it you also need some configuration between a voice gateway and the Dect system so calls can be passed via this?

If anyone can help me that would be great.

Thanks

Marc.

7 Replies 7

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I think this should be straight forward.Create a new H323 gateway in Callmanager and give it the address of the dect system.Then setup some route patterns that point to the new gateway.

Should be straight forward.

cheers

mark

Mark,

Should I need configure anything as far as the voice gateway is concerned locally?

Also I take it the dect phones will need to be extention wise will need to be configured on the dect system and not on the call manager?

Marc.

Hi,

Remember all you are doing is making an IP H323 connection to the DECT system.This will not have anything to do with the any other voice gateway so no you do not need to do anything.

The route patterns you setup need to match the extension numbers you setup on the dect system.

for example

dect phone has extension 4500

1.You dial 4500 on ip phone

2.4500 is matched by the Route pattern 4500

3.Route pattern 4500 points to the H323 Dect gateway.

In theory thats it.

Hope it helps

cheers

mark

Thanks Mark for the information, I thought it would be simple as that.

Thanks

Marc.

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These DECT handsets should be fine to be configured as a H323 gateway.

Remember that H323 will not offer any supplementary services such as call hold, retrieve and call transfer. So maybe the advantage of the devices is outweighed by their lack of telephony features - the 7921 or Nokia dual mode handsets give the wireless features but have full integration on the CCM/CME .

Ok thanks this is something to consider.

Also regarding setting up the extentions, do I need to add each dect phone as a H.323 client or does the dect system assign its own extentions?

Thanks

Marc.

Each DECT phone would work through a VOIP dial peer, so you would specify destination number, the codec and the session target IP address.

CME would have no awareness of these third party devices, so they need to be statically configured.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: