cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router/switch command requirements

g-pate
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me what specific commands need to be configured on devices to be completely managed and monitored by Ciscoworks?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, the logging and the trap statements are for CiscoWorks syslog analysis and DFM respectively. If you are using MARS for syslog, you can choose to send syslog messages to MARS exclusively, or send them to both RME and MARS. I do recommend you still send syslog messages to RME as RME can react to certain messages, and kick of a config or inventory collection in near real-time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is really a loaded question since it depends on the type of device, desired protocols/protocol versions, authentication scheme, etc.. For a standard IOS device for which you want to use SNMPv1/v2c and telnet with VTY authentication for management, you will need this:

enable secret ENABLE_PASSWORD

logging CISCOWORKS_IP

snmp-server community ROCOMM RO

snmp-server community RWCOMM RW

snmp-server enable traps

snmp-server host CISCOWORKS_IP traps ROCOMM

line vty 0 15

password VTY_PASSWORD

transport input telnet

I assume the logging is what sends the syslog events to CW, and the SNMP-SERVER is what sends the TRAPS. What if something like MARS is being used in the network? I don't know much about MARS, but my understanding its a central repository for managing events across multiple platforms. How does this tie in with CW?

Yes, the logging and the trap statements are for CiscoWorks syslog analysis and DFM respectively. If you are using MARS for syslog, you can choose to send syslog messages to MARS exclusively, or send them to both RME and MARS. I do recommend you still send syslog messages to RME as RME can react to certain messages, and kick of a config or inventory collection in near real-time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: