cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP requirements

g-pate
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me what works/doesn't work in Ciscoworks when you don't have SNMP R/W configured on devices? Most references I see about installing CW is that SNMP Read and read/write needs to be configured, but I was able to push out jobs on devices without SNMP r/w being configured. I could not however make a change to a device via Ciscoview. When does SNMP r/w get used by CW?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you have either telnet or SSH configured on the device, and proper credentials in LMS, you will lose out on some CiscoView and Campus Manager config operations. These typically aren't that big of a deal. The big deal is if you intend to use IPM. IPM relies exclusively on SNMP RW to do its collector configurations on devices. So without RW credentials, IPM will be useless.

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

in the guide 'Installing and Getting Started with CiscoWorks LMS 3.0' you find a table with a listing of the required credentials for each app:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.0/install/guide/prereq.html#wp1080035

CiscoView only works with SNMP. So you need snmp-ro to get the device view and correct status info and snmp-rw if you want to change a setting on the device.

For RME Config Management you can configure which protocol to use and to try first to connect to a device:

RME > Administration > Config Mgmt > Transport Settings

That is pretty much what I wanted. Thank you. It is a bit strange though...it list SNMP R/W as "required" on several things like RME, Netconfig, config editor, etc. Howerver, I am able to make jobs and run them successfully without those credentials.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: