cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel Baystack ping response

aalguire
Level 1
Level 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have quite a few Nortel Baystack 450 switches. We are experiencing daily network outages and in the process of diagnosis I noticed that ping response times were slow. Response times pinging from inside the switch is 30-150ms. Pinging the switch's own IP address from inside the switch is 1-20ms. Pinging the switch from the a network server or workstation is 30-50ms. Pinging network devices other than the Nortel switches is 1-4 ms response so I am thinking that either there is a problem with the Nortel switches, or else the onboard ping (from inside the switch to other network devices) is somehow padding the ping response times.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

1. It may be the device overloaded with traffic or the traffic not taking the optimal path

2. Determine if the device shows symptoms of high CPU utilization at brief and unpredictable intervals. If so, periodically collect the output of the cpu processes command. This shows if the high CPU utilization is caused by interrupts or by a certain process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: