Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Issue with ip pim rp-address static-override command

james.doukas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Having an issue with the ip pim rp-address x.x.x.x <access-list> override command. I want a specific mulitcast group to use the loopback address of the local first hop router as its RP instead of the auto-rp learned rendezvous point address. The override command should take presidence for the group specified in the acl over auto-rp.

After entering the command, I did a clear ip pim rp mapping as well as a clear ip mroute *. However, the auto rp learned RP address still shows as the RP for the specified override groups.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Trying this on a 3750G-24T running 12.2(25)SEC2. Also see the issue on 6509E Sup7203B running 12.2(18)SXF7. The loopback address is higher then the auto-rp learned address just as an FYI. The access list is a standard named access-list.

Here's how the manual says to configure:

ip pim rp-address

To configure the address of a Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) rendezvous point (RP) for multicast groups, use the ip pim rp-address command in global configuration mode. To remove an RP address, use the no form of this command.

ip pim [vrf vrf-name] rp-address rp-address [access-list] [override] [bidir]

no ip pim [vrf vrf-name] rp-address rp-address [access-list] [override] [bidir]

override

(Optional) Indicates that if there is a conflict, the RP configured with this command prevails over the RP learned by Auto-RP.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

harold.blackman
Level 1
Level 1

What group are you trying to use, and what does your ACL look like?

I have done exactly what you are trying, to do. And you have the right idea.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card