Bizzare VPN behaviour?

Unanswered Question
Feb 7th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi Guys, I'm struggling to get my VPN up and running correctly. I'm not sure if its an issue with my setup or understanding. Any help will be VERY much appreciated.

I have the following setup

Outside:

ip:172.16.1.1 - assigned by my router

netmask: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 172.16.1.254

Inside:

Inside Hosts:

192.168.1.0 newtwork.

gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS : 172.16.1.254

My inside hosts can access the internet.

Now when I VPN in. I get an ip address 192.168.1.X.

I can ping 192.168.1.1 , which should be my ASA inside interface.... but for some reason I get a reply from 172.16.1.1 :s.

Also I can see another computers file shares on //192.168.1.2 however I cannot ping the dns server (the asa outside inferface) and I therefore cannot surf the web etc..etc... I also cannot access the ADSM via https, telnet or ssh.

I have attached my running config.

I understand the I could probably set up a split-tunnel to access the internet but I don't want to do that. plus that won't solve my ADSM issues.

Many many thanks

Marc.

Attachment: 
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
husycisco Fri, 02/08/2008 - 05:07
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Marcos

Using a VPN pool subnet which is covered by an interface IP subnet of one of your interfaces is always a handicap.

Your VPN connections are terminated at outside interface of ASA. Although they get an IP address of 192.168.1.x, they are not considered as inside. That clarfies the ping response issue also. Thats why following command will not cover your VPN clients

http 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside

I suggest you using a different IP pool for VPN clients and amend your exempt nat statements accordingly. Then issue the following command

http vpnippool vpnpoolmask outside

Regards

marcosgeorge Fri, 02/08/2008 - 15:54
User Badges:

Thank you very much for your reply.

You response makes sense to me.

I am still new to the ASA appliance and think in a way I have made a mistake in relying so heaviy on the ASDM for configuration and management.

I think i will fccus on the cli from now on.

Just a quick question in regards to your repsonse. I thought one of the main ideas of a VPN is to allow remote access and let you become part of a protected inside network? Doesn't the idea of creating a vpn pool in a differnet network mean I'll now have to setup ACL's so my VPN network can get to my inside network?

thank you.

husycisco Fri, 02/08/2008 - 17:10
User Badges:

"I thought one of the main ideas of a VPN is to allow remote access and let you become part of a protected inside network"

No it isnt. Idea here is, a private network which can communicate with a protected network. The protected network, your inside network ends where internet connection or internetworking begins. Rest of your inside network you provide physical security, connectivity, managability, authorization locally, is totally unsecure. Especially the internet.

And VPN is generally established over Intenet. You can not ensure the security of remote clients (Improved VPN technologies that currently exist which appliy policies/topologies on Client PC via Client software. These technologies strenghten the security but does not change the generel term described above). Also you can make sure that no one can break the door of cabinet, plug a cable to your switch and hack your system, but you can not make sure that a hacker attempts to hack your VPN encryption hash and break into your system over internetworks.

Cisco's all security appliences' core algorithm, the Adaptive Security Algorithm, relys on the facts above. The key component for Adaptive Security Algorithm to work, is the security level. ASA protects the network(s) connected to the interface with higher security level, from the network(s) connected to the interface with lower security level. In general, outside interface is always set to 0 (most unsecure), inside 100 (most secure), DMZ 50 (unsecure for inside but secure for outside).

Regards

*Please do not forget to rate the post and choose "resolved my problem" which was helpful and resolved your problem.

marcosgeorge Fri, 02/08/2008 - 17:25
User Badges:

ok that makes sense, but it doesn't answer my question, what I am trying to achieve is the following;

I want to be able to access the files within my inside network shares aswell as the internet via

the VPN(not directly using split tunneling).

Now in my current setup I can access shares from my inside network but cannot access the ASDM or internet access. Thats what I'm trying to achieve and perhaps thats what the propose solution you gave me in your fist post will achieve? However you have suggested that I put my VPN clients on a seperate network. So what I was asking is will I know have to setup accesslists for my VPN client to know acess the inside network shares?

Thanks again. :)

PS - yes ofcouse I will rate the post and chose 'resolved my problem'

husycisco Sat, 02/09/2008 - 06:29
User Badges:

Yes, the answer in my first post will make you achieve exactly what you want.

As long as you specify this network in your exempt nat rule, you wont need to setup access-lists for reaching shares etc.

"aswell as the internet via

the VPN"

That means you want your VPN clients to connect internet using ASA's internet bandwidth instead their local internet. Then simply add the following

group-policy vpngroup attributes

split-tunnel-policy tunnelall

Keep in mind that this will make VPN clients lose their local LAN connectivity

marcosgeorge Sat, 02/09/2008 - 15:29
User Badges:

Thank you very much for your patience with me.

Its all makes sense however I'm curious about the following. You said in your first post the because the VPN is terminated on the outside interface that even though my VPN client has a 192.168.1.X address, it isn't REALLY on the the inside. This raises 2 questions in my mind.

1) If this is the case, how come I can access file shares on 192.168.1.3(as an example)?

2) If put my VPN clients in a different network say 10.1.1.X for instance. Won't it still be the case that the are not really on the inside and the same issues will occur? What is the difference?

Apologies if these are silly questions, I'm just trying to learn how this all works.

I am actually on holidays at the moment but will be accessing the ASA tonight.

Thanks again. I look forard to your reply.

Marcos.

husycisco Sun, 02/10/2008 - 04:20
User Badges:

A1) Here comes networking. Being on a different interface does not mean you can not communicate to hosts in other interface. This is what interface for, serving between different networks, internetworking. In your case, VPN client is located at outside, and 192.168.1.3 is in inside. ASA knows that. And when you try communicating between interfaces connected to ASA, it takes the packet from x interface's buffer to RAM, checks its destination, if the destination exist in route table, it switches the packet from x interface's buffer to y interface's buffer. This is more like a router behaviour, in ASA, this is more secured with ACLs and security levels.

Above is the explaination in theory, for a little background. What is the answer in yor config? Answer is the following lines

access-list inside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip any 192.168.1.192 255.255.255.224

nat (inside) 0 access-list inside_nat0_outbound

Above lines are about exempt NAT, and NAT (Network Address Translation) is a routing protocol. If VPN pool was really in inside, why did you need to configure this routing protocol explicitly? A packet which is destined to an IP in same subnet does not use a gateway so why is it there? Do you have any entry like above for your inside hosts? No. If you remove one of the lines above, you will no more be able to access file shares in inside from VPN network.

I couldnt understand the question number 2, would you please explain, which same issue?

I read your original question and there are some little mistakes also.

"I cannot ping the dns server (the asa outside inferface)"

ASA does not have the DNS server functionality. You should point to a global DNS server or an internal DNS server in which root hints or forwarders configured.

To be able to ping correctly from outside to interface IP, you should issue the following command

management-access- inside

marcosgeorge Sun, 02/10/2008 - 16:13
User Badges:

Thanks again.

In response to your answer (A1). I understand that concept of routing between directly connected interfaces( and various routing proctols, distance-vector or link-state).

I also think I understand the reason the Nat exemption rules are there, to allow inbound and outbound connections to initiate between my inside hosts and the VPN termination point without doing a nat translation?

Unfortunatley I wasn't very clear in my question, and what I was trying to discover is why was I able to access a file share but NOT my internet via the tunnel. I understand the reasoning why I can't access the ASDM.

To clarfiy my second question, your reccomendation was that I

"I suggest you using a different IP pool for VPN clients and amend your exempt nat statements accordingly. Then issue the following command

http vpnippool vpnpoolmask outside "

I understand why the 'http vpnippool vpnpoolmask outside' is neccesary, as you pointed out the VPN connection isn't really on the inside. But why do I need to change the IP range? Why can't for example, my inside host in a range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.20 and my vpn clients be in 192.168.21 - 192.168.1.40 ? Or were you not sugesting that? I didn't understand why you thought it should be in "a different ip pool".

You see I still don't understand why I am unable to access the internet through my VPN tunnel ( I can configure split tunnelling but that not what i want for security reasons).

my default gateway on my VPN client is 192.168.1.1 and the DNS server is configured to 172.16.1.254.

Even though I can't access the ASDM http interface at the moment shouldn't I be able to route traffic still? just like my inside clients?

"ASA does not have the DNS server functionality. You should point to a global DNS server or an internal DNS server in which root hints or forwarders configured.

To be able to ping correctly from outside to interface IP, you should issue the following command "

Yes thats right, I was wrong when I stated my DNS server was the ASA's outside interface. its actually my routers inside (172.16.1.254) My current inside hosts are configured with this as there DNS and they can resolve DNS requests fine.

Many thanks.

husycisco Wed, 02/13/2008 - 04:55
User Badges:

First of all, I want to clarify one thing. My suggestion of using different subnets is not a must so your config can work. But definitely is the best practise.

"Why can't for example, my inside host in a range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.20 and my vpn clients be in 192.168.21 - 192.168.1.40 "

I didnnt say you cant, and above is a great idea for ideally using the host portion and not wasting IP address BUT! your inside interface has the subnet of 255.255.255.0, which means it is not really in between the range you specify. And this will cause serious problems in a mid-sized network architecture for routing and acl filtering. If you want to keep inside and VPN client in the ranges you mention, you can use 255.255.255.240 subnetmask and there will be usable 14 hosts IPs in each subnet.

"You see I still don't understand why I am unable to access the internet through my VPN tunnel ( I can configure split tunnelling but that not what i want for security reasons).

my default gateway on my VPN client is 192.168.1.1 and the DNS server is configured to 172.16.1.254.

Even though I can't access the ASDM http interface at the moment shouldn't I be able to route traffic still? just like my inside clients?

"

For achieving this, you should do the following modification to force all traffic pass through the tunnel

group-policy yourpolicyname attributes

split-tunnel-policy tunnelall

After doing this, when a client connects and you right-click VPN icon at right-bottom >click statistics> click route details. In right-pane you will see the destined traffic which will flow through the tunnel. You will see 0.0.0.0 which means all traffic including internet traffic will flow through the tunnel.

Another dilemma about the IP pool 192.168.1.x, which you use in both inside and VPN clients is, most internet modems/routers come out of the box with a default IP configuration of 192.168.1.1. This will again cause problems.

marcosgeorge Thu, 02/14/2008 - 04:29
User Badges:

Hi Husycisco,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have made the suggested changes.

My inside hosts are on 192.168.1.16/28

My VPN clients are on 192.168.1.32/28.

I also have ensured that the tunnel is tunneling all traffic. If I check the client, the destined traffic is 0.0.0.0 like you suggested it would be.

My INSIDE ip is 192.168.1.17

and my vpn client is assigned something between 33 and 46 (in the last octet).

The gateway for the VPN client seems to be set to the next available from the VPN pool( is this correct behaviour?).

My modem router is configured on 172.16.1.0/24. But you are correct out of the box it was 192.168.1.1.

I am connecting with IPsec/TCP on port 10000.

once again. I can see my file shares, but CANNOT access the internet or resolve any addresses via the tunnel.

I have attached the current running-config AND the debugging syslogs from my ASDM.

This is starting to get rather frustrating.

I am unable to resolve DNS through the tunnel. I have tried configuring my dns with both the routers ip ( which is how my inside clients are setup) and with a my public dns, they both fail.

When I turn on debug level logging, I am noticing the following line appear when I try to ping anywhere. for example "ping www.google.com".

They appear to be NetBios (port 137) broadcasts to my VPN subnet?

I get 3 of them, then my ping command fails. with

"Ping request could not find host www.google.com....."

6|Feb 14 2008|15:36:29|302016|192.168.1.33|192.168.1.47|Teardown UDP connection 1004 for outside:192.168.1.33/137 to outside:192.168.1.47/137 duration 0:00:00 bytes 0 (vpnusername)

6|Feb 14 2008|15:36:28|302016|192.168.1.33|192.168.1.47|Teardown UDP connection 1003 for outside:192.168.1.33/137 to outside:192.168.1.47/137 duration 0:00:00 bytes 0 (vpnusername)

6|Feb 14 2008|15:36:27|302016|192.168.1.33|192.168.1.47|Teardown UDP connection 1002 for outside:192.168.1.33/137 to outside:192.168.1.47/137 duration 0:00:00 bytes 0 (vpnusername)

:( MAny thanks once again.

Attachment: 
marcosgeorge Thu, 02/14/2008 - 16:11
User Badges:

Just to add to my last post....

Before I made the suggested changes I checked the ASA's logs and saw similar output to that previously posts except it was Tearing down udp broadcast traffic on port 53(dns) from the outside:myvpnclient TO outside:myvpnsubnet.

It seems to me the problem all along could have something to do with hair-pinning? The following seems to explain a possilbe problem:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/vpnsysop.html#wp1042114

husycisco Thu, 02/14/2008 - 16:25
User Badges:

Try issuing the following only,

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

if doesnt solve, I will ask for a couple of command outputs

marcosgeorge Thu, 02/14/2008 - 16:33
User Badges:

Thanks, I did try that, its didn't work, but I got called out to an emergency at the last minute.

According to the article I might also have to set up Nat on the outside interface.

"For the security appliance to send unencrypted traffic back out through the interface, you must enable NAT for the interface so that publicly routable addresses replace your private IP addresses (unless you already use public IP addresses in your local IP address pool)."

In regards to my last post... does it matter what the gateway address is that is assigned to my VPN client? I posted the complete details in my previous post.

Let me know hwat command output you would like.

Thanks.

marcosgeorge Thu, 02/14/2008 - 16:51
User Badges:

Thanks, I did try that, its didn't work, but I got called out to an emergency at the last minute.

According to the article I might also have to set up Nat on the outside interface.

"For the security appliance to send unencrypted traffic back out through the interface, you must enable NAT for the interface so that publicly routable addresses replace your private IP addresses (unless you already use public IP addresses in your local IP address pool)."

In regards to my last post... does it matter what the gateway address is that is assigned to my VPN client? I posted the complete details in my previous post.

Let me know hwat command output you would like.

Thanks.

husycisco Thu, 02/14/2008 - 18:12
User Badges:

Article is not related with this scenario actually, its something completely different. I just tought it might be an intra-interface issue (this option permits ipsec traffic to enter and exit the same int) but realized that flow through 0.0.0.0 is not an ipsec traffic, anyway suggested it if it works or not.

I analyzed the config once more and have some questions .Your outside interface acquires IP from DHCP. What IP does it have ATM and which device has the IP address 172.16.1.254?

Is there a domain controller at main office?

I want two outputs from following in VPN client

1)In command line, run

tracert 64.156.132.140

2)In command line, run

nslookup , then type www.google.com, then type a computername that exists at main office, for example pc01.domain.com

husycisco Thu, 02/14/2008 - 18:20
User Badges:

Oh! You use your internet router/gateway as DNS server dont you? And it is located at outside interface.... If yes, then please issue the following command

access-list outside_nat0_outbound permit ip 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240

nat (outside) 0 access-list outside_nat0_outbound outside

this would fix it up!

marcosgeorge Thu, 02/14/2008 - 19:30
User Badges:

yes that is correct.

I have a router/modem(172.16.1.254) on my outside interface which is doing the dns.

Can you explain the rule you want me to apply?

"access-list outside_nat0_outbound permit ip 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240"

So this ACL will trigger on traffic from the 172.16.1.0/24 network destined for my VPN network.

"nat (outside) 0 access-list outside_nat0_outbound outside "

Thats a Nat exemption rule?

So traffic from my 172.16.1.0 network destined for the 192.168.1.32 network(my vpn subnet) won't be translated?

If thats correct...shouldn't the access-list be something like...

access-list outside_nat0_outbound permit ip 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240"

?? The router seems to be seeing the source as my VPN client, even though its on the outside interface??

and should I be setting up a Nat rule, not a Nat exemption rule? I thought I would want my VPN traffic send out as unencrypted so I can access the internet

"In another application, this feature can redirect incoming VPN traffic back out through the same interface as unencrypted traffic. This would be useful, for example, to a VPN client that does not have split tunneling but needs to both access a VPN and browse the Web."

"For the security appliance to send unencrypted traffic back out through the interface, you must enable NAT for the interface so that publicly routable addresses replace your private IP addresses (unless you already use public IP addresses in your local IP address pool). The following example applies an interface PAT rule to traffic sourced from the client IP pool:

hostname(config)# ip local pool clientpool 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100

hostname(config)# global (outside) 1 interface

hostname(config)# nat (outside) 1 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0"

I will try both when I get back to my home network....

Thanks again...

Its always good to learn new things.

husycisco Fri, 02/15/2008 - 09:19
User Badges:

"So traffic from my 172.16.1.0 network destined for the 192.168.1.32 network(my vpn subnet) won't be translated?

"

Correct

"If thats correct...shouldn't the access-list be something like...

access-list outside_nat0_outbound permit ip 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240" "

No. Above acl has no use, source and destination are same (both 1.32/24) . Network statements like NAT or split tunnel are not like ACLs for filtering traffic. Check and compare with your inside_nat0_outbound acl

"For the security appliance to send unencrypted traffic back out through the interface, you must enable NAT for the interface so that publicly routable addresses replace your private IP addresses (unless you already use public IP addresses in your local IP address pool). The following example applies an interface PAT rule to traffic sourced from the client IP pool:

hostname(config)# ip local pool clientpool 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100

hostname(config)# global (outside) 1 interface

hostname(config)# nat (outside) 1 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0"

The more you look for, the more things will get complicated. If you implement above config, you wont be able to communicate with inside hosts.

marcosgeorge Fri, 02/15/2008 - 16:42
User Badges:

Hi Husycisco,

I REALLY don't understand why you want me to issue that command. Could you please explain to me the reasoning behind adding the Nat exemption rule on the outside interface and how it theoretically should fix my issue with internet browsing?

I have applied the recommended changes, the only difference is unfortunately my stupid modem/router want let me change the damm network much for the dhcp server so its issuing addresses in 172.16.0.0/16

so I applied"

access-list outside_nat0_outbound permit ip 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240

nat (outside) 0 access-list outside_nat0_outbound outside

but it STILL isn't working.

I appear to be getting the following syslog error in relation to my ping/nslookup attempts/

"portmap translation creation failed for upd src outside:192.168.1.33/1872 dst outside:172.16.1.254/53"

aswell as

""portmap translation creation failed for icmp src outside:192.168.1.33 dst outside:64.156.132.40 (type 8, code 0)"

when I issue a "ping 64.156.132.40.

once again I have posted my updated running-config.

Below is some output I receive on my client (192.168.1.33).

ping requests to the ip address 64.156.132.40 are timing out.

and nslookup requests are getting DNS request time out errors.

Thanks again.. I'm off to read some more on VPN setups.

husycisco Fri, 02/15/2008 - 17:11
User Badges:

My bad... sometimes networks and subnets start flying in my head while dealing with many different configurations and questions at the same time :) Please do the following modification

no access-list outside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240

access-list outside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0

clear xlate

"I REALLY don't understand why you want me to issue that command. Could you please explain to me the reasoning behind adding the Nat exemption rule on the outside interface and how it theoretically should fix my issue with internet browsing?"

Sure. In common scenarios, DNS server is usually at inside interface. Mostly this is a Domain Controller with integrated AD DNS. And the router's IP is added as DNS forwarders or root hints are configured.

In this scenario, DNS server is located at outside interface. And there is no NAT statement exists to make VPN subnet be able to communicate hosts located at outside interface. If DNS server was located at DMZ or at another interface, we would have to do the same statements. The statements which infact makes you able to communicate with insie hosts atm (inside_nat0_outbound)

marcosgeorge Fri, 02/15/2008 - 18:08
User Badges:

Oh ok.... that makes more sense to me now....

So the Nat exemption rule will forward traffic to my router(which acts as a DNS) but will not do any translation on the traffic?

I've applied the changes but still no luck...

This is what I seem to get when I do a ping to the IP address you gave me

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:42|302021|192.168.1.34|64.156.132.140|Teardown ICMP connection for faddr 192.168.1.34/1536 gaddr 64.156.132.140/0 laddr 64.156.132.140/0 (vpnuser)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:40|302020|192.168.1.34|64.156.132.140|Built ICMP connection for faddr 192.168.1.34/1536 gaddr 64.156.132.140/0 laddr 64.156.132.140/0 (vpnuser)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:37|302021|192.168.1.34|64.156.132.140|Teardown ICMP connection for faddr 192.168.1.34/1536 gaddr 64.156.132.140/0 laddr 64.156.132.140/0 (marcosgr)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:35|302020|192.168.1.34|64.156.132.140|Built ICMP connection for faddr 192.168.1.34/1536 gaddr 64.156.132.140/0 laddr 64.156.132.140/0 (vpnuser)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:31|302021|192.168.1.34|64.156.132.140|Teardown ICMP connection for faddr 192.168.1.34/1536 gaddr 64.156.132.140/0 laddr 64.156.132.140/0 (vpnuser)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:29|302020|192.168.1.34|64.156.132.140|Built ICMP connection for faddr 192.168.1.34/1536 gaddr 64.156.132.140/0 laddr 64.156.132.140/0 (vpnuser)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:16:12|302015|172.16.1.255|255.255.255.255|Built inbound UDP connection 49591 for outside:172.16.1.255/68 (172.16.1.255/68) to NP Identity Ifc:255.255.255.255/67 (255.255.255.255/67)

If I try to access a site, say via firefox based on domain name I seem to be getting.

6|Feb 16 2008|05:26:57|302014|12.120.29.14|192.168.1.18|Teardown TCP connection 49606 for outside:12.120.29.14/80 to inside:192.168.1.18/3954 duration 0:05:06 bytes 3984 TCP FINs

6|Feb 16 2008|05:26:57|302014|12.120.29.14|192.168.1.18|Teardown TCP connection 49608 for outside:12.120.29.14/80 to inside:192.168.1.18/3955 duration 0:05:05 bytes 4986 TCP FINs

6|Feb 16 2008|05:26:23|302015|MY_ISP_ASSIGNED_IP|172.16.1.1|Built inbound UDP connection 49657 for outside:MY_ISP_ASSIGNED_IP/2497 (MY_ISP_ASSIGNED_IP/2497) to NP Identity Ifc:172.16.1.1/500 (172.16.1.1/500)

6|Feb 16 2008|05:26:18|302015|192.168.1.34|192.168.1.47|Built inbound UDP connection 49656 for outside:192.168.1.34/137 (192.168.1.34/137) to outside:192.168.1.47/137 (192.168.1.47/137) (marcosgr)

Note: I've removed my inside global public IP with MY_ISP_ASSIGNED_IP

thanks again.

I'm wondering if its a problem with traffic on the way back in.....

husycisco Sat, 02/16/2008 - 07:04
User Badges:

Ok then. Then lets apply the following.

no nat (outside) 0 access-list outside_nat0_outbound outside

no nat (outside) 2 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240

no access-list outside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0

nat (outside) 1 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240

global (inside) 1 interface

clear xlate

marcosgeorge Sat, 02/16/2008 - 15:08
User Badges:

ok I'll do this as soon as I get home.

So now I'm removing the nat exemption?

Can you explain why you want me to do this?

Thanks.

marcosgeorge Sat, 02/16/2008 - 18:44
User Badges:

ok still no luck.....

I have copied out the Nat and access-list commands and commented what I think they are doing... maybe that will help.

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface ; allow hairpinning. Traffic coming from my VPN clients terminated on the outside interface will need to go back out to the dns server.

--------------- Configuration for DMZ and webserver ----

access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any host 172.16.1.1 eq www log

access-group outside_access_in in interface outside

; allow web traffic in on the outside interface.

;sending webtraffic to my DMZ host

static (DMZ,outside) tcp interface www 192.168.2.2 www netmask 255.255.255.255

--------------------------------

--------Nat Exemptions for VPN-----------

access-list inside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip any 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240

nat (inside) 0 access-list inside_nat0_outbound

-----------------------------------------

----- The last commands you gave me - I changes the NAT ID.... is that an issue??------------

nat (outside) 2 192.168.1.32 255.255.255.240 ; my VPN Client traffic on the outside interface

global (inside) 2 interface ; will be translated to the inside network address ???? IS that right????

---------------------------------------------------------------

------------ Default Nat-----------------

nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ; map any any from the inside

global (outside) 1 interface ; to an address on the outpide interface (these are still private addresses as my

outside address gets assigned via DHCP by my router/modem.

-------------------------------------------

This is the strangest problem .....

marcosgeorge Sat, 02/16/2008 - 19:00
User Badges:

Just to add some more info...

I'm getting the old "port map translation creations failed" errors..... The funny thing is the syslogs, list the source IP but the destination id is empty.......

husycisco Sun, 02/17/2008 - 08:13
User Badges:

"The last commands you gave me - I changes the NAT ID.... is that an issue??------------"

Of course thats an issue. Please apply exactly I have posted, then apply clear xlate. Then disconnect VPN client and reconnect.

Then please post the current config.

I will make the theory explainations as we resolve this

husycisco Tue, 02/19/2008 - 16:38
User Badges:

Hi Marcos

Any update?

marcosgeorge Wed, 02/20/2008 - 02:15
User Badges:

Hi Husycisco,

Sorry about the lack of updates....I've been called away for work. I will be back tomorrow night (around 24 hours from this post) I will try to update then.

thanks again!

marcosgeorge Mon, 03/03/2008 - 21:09
User Badges:

Hi Husy,

I need to start by apologising for not updating in so long. On my way back from a work trip I received from tragic news involving a family member and my proffesional aspect of my life has had to be put on the back burner.

Apologies and I appreciate all the time you have spent trying to assist me with this issue.

I have once again attached my current config. It may not be exactly as what was expected due to the fact i also had a colleage of mine make some changes whilst i was away.

thanks.

Attachment: 

Actions

This Discussion