Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with LMS 3.0 on windows

mattbclarke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are running LMS 3.0 with the latest dDecember patches. I am getting the following errors avery 10 seconds in windows event application event viewer. Does anyone know why this is and how o fix?

The description for Event ID ( 16640 ) in Source ( InCharge ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [08-Feb-2008 11:16:46+434ms] t@6348 HTTP Accept

CI-E-EWHILE-While executing function "doSelect"

CI-EFLOWID-For flow CI_FlowTCP_U [] IN_FLOW|PHYSICAL

. *:9002 KS 08-Feb-2008 11:16:31, KR 08-Feb-2008 11:16:31

. Open fd=976, 127.0.0.1:9002 -> 127.0.0.1:22221, tmo 0 00:00:15 N/S 1/0

CI-EDEADMAN-Deadman timer expired; in file

"L:/DFM-3.0.2.0/7/smarts/clsapi/ci_flow.c" at line 1337

This doesn't seem to affect things during the day, however I have noticed overnight about 40 or 50 of the internal processes seem to stop..not sure why yet..

The machine does have ms .net 2.0 sp1. Is this an issue? If so does anyone know why as I can't seem to remove it?

Thanks

Matt

12 Replies 12

derek.sizeland
Level 1
Level 1

There is a confirmed problem with .NET 2.0 SP1.

Not sure if a fix is planned, I am sure Joe can answer that one. You may need to tick the show updates box in add/remove programs to see it.

mattbclarke
Level 1
Level 1

I know there is an issue with .Net 2 SP1, does anyone know if this would cause processes to fail?? I am finding processes fail once every day, but not sure why. Seems to be because of EssentialSDM, please find syslog output attached. Nothing seems to come back until I reboot the box.

You appear to have the .NET problem as well as an issue with your cmf database. That issue might be very easy to correct. First, uninstall any instance of .NET 2.0 SP1 and higher (this includes 3.0). Then, shutdown dmgtd. Then check the contents of NMSROOT\databases\cmf. If you have a cmf.log file in this directory, delete it, then run the command:

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv9 -f NMSROOT\databases\cmf\cmf.db

When that completes, restart dmgtd, and you should be in better shape.

lkcameron
Level 1
Level 1

I've been seeing the same event in my event log, and also a bunch of my CW LMS 3.0 processes are shutting down overnight. I can confirm that I have .Net 2 SP1 and .Net 3 SP1 installed as well, as its been suggested that there might be a bug in .Net 2 SP1 having an effect on this issue. I have applied the latest Dec07 patches to LMS 3.0. I've just configured logrot.pl and AT to rotate my logs every night as well as restarting the crmdmgtd daemon which I hope will ensure I have a running server for the day, but its more of a bandaid than a fix. I'd appreciate on hearing if anyone else is having the same issues, and if there is a more permanent fix out there.

.NET 2.0 SP1 and higher is considered extremely harmful to DFM and should be removed. Unfortunately, the interaction between DFM and .NET is so that it may break other CiscoWorks applications. We realize that this is not a solution, and we are working with EMC to isolate the root cause of the conflict and correct it.

There also appears be to another conflict with DLLs msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll with version numbers higher than 8.00.50727.42. If any application on the LMS server installs versions of these DLLs higher than 8.00.50727.42, try uninstalling those apps, and see if DFM works again. It is believed TSM backup software is one such application that installs newer versions. Again, we are working with EMC to provide a true solution to this conflict.

mlinsemier
Level 1
Level 1

Has there been a patch yet to resolve this? I am running into the same issue except it seems to be effecting my DCR and other services that just randomly stop while trying to do functions.

Clean install of CiscoWorks LMS with the December 2007 update did not resolve the issue.

Matt

I just heard today that the ETA for a patch is March 17. The .NET conflict can cause DFM to eat up TCP ports on the server which can cripple the rest of LMS. You either need to uninstall DFM, or uninstall .NET until a patch is ready.

Thanks for the reply... it seems that uninstalling .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 resolved my issues for now.

Matt

Hi, is this patch still on track for the 17th? Is there a bugID associated to this fault?

I have a customer who is suffering (and has been for a while) with this issue.

Yes, a patch has been made available. The bug is CSCsm04957. You can contact the TAC, and the patch can be provided.

Any idea when the patch will be published on CCO?

Andy

The patch will be coming to Cisco.com as part of DFM 3.0.3 which is due out next month. If you need it sooner, you will need to call the TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: