VTP - Removal of whole configuration

Unanswered Question
Feb 8th, 2008

Hi all,

I've been searching for the answer to this for ages but cannot seem to find anything concrete on non-1900 switches.

If I was to configure vtp, with domain name and password etc how can I restore vtp back to out-of-the-box spec (i.e. no vtp is configured). I understand that vtp mode transparent is effective but erasing the config and tftp'ing a modified config without the vtp info in it seems trivial.

I look forward to your replies.

Chris

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
pciaccio Fri, 02/08/2008 - 04:54

I believe this might answer your question.. In the directory of the switch flash memory there should be a file called VLAN.DAT . Delete this file. It has all the VLAN information that resides on your switch. Once deleted, reboot the switch. The file is recreated but to a default state with the default VLANs on it. The switch I believe will also boot to a VTP of server. Be careful when inserting this into a production network. reboot the switch with no connections to it. log into it then change the VTP to transparant or vtp client (which ever you prefer). Then insert to your network...

LordFlasheart Fri, 02/08/2008 - 10:05

Thanks for the reply. The one thing I wanted to avoid was having to clear out the vlan.dat file and rebooting because then I would lose all of my VLANs. I would have thought that there would be a way to completely undo every VTP command and get the switch back to a virgin state without having to delete the vlan.dat file. For example, in the 1900 switch you could issue a "delete vtp" command to remove all VTP config but not affect the VLANs configured.

Actions

This Discussion