Helpful
Replies

cpu and memory usage grows after Cisco works are installed on Win Srv

050878james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need a little help here.

We have installed the Cisco Works on Windows server 2003 32 bit, and right after Cisco wirks are installed CPU and MEM usage grows very fast, and at the end when mem is full server freezes and it stops responding at all, tha it need a reboot.

Anyone who had the same or similar problem that with solution which can help me ??

Thank you

Best regards

James

11 Replies 11

htronnier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello James,

you don't state how much RAM your server has and which version of CW you installed. CiscoWorks really does use the memory stated in it's release notes - if the server is short of RAM then starting CW can take a very long time .

hi !!

thank you for reply. This server have 3.6 GhZ CPU and 3 GB RAM mem. Should be enough..... I think

Hi,

well, the data sheet (I assume LAN Management Solution 2.6 or 3.0) says

Intel Pentium 4 at 2.6 GHz for 1 CPU with 2 GB RAM memory 4 GB swap space.

for the 300 Elements version.

You need to set up swap space twice the size of the physical memory

Oh, and try to disable any antivirus, at least during setup.

The bigger packs have higher requirements,

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/ps7196/product_data_sheet0900aecd80648975.html

Hope this helps.

Greetings

Hartwig

so there is nothing I need to configure in Cisco works, but just check the swap (paging file) ?? someone told me that java could also make a problems as CPU and mem grows ......

Thank you for explanation so I`ll try it soon. I am waiting for VPN login info so I can log on that server and check this.....

Please if there is something more I can do about this problem so just let me know.

Best regards

Hi James,

of course there are a lot more things that can eat memory. Since CW (at least the 2.x versions) depends heavily on java, it is very memory consuming. I understood your question as being directly after installation of cw, so there's nothing configured yet and it can't have any trouble with managed devices.

I've noticed the behaviour when installing CW, where it does stop and start the services with each package (CD) it installs - with less memory than stated it takes nearly forever - 30 minutes instead of 45 seconds on a server where the customer told me "I'm going to upgrade from 2 to 4 Gig tomorrow".

If your system already was up and running and isn't any more, can you tell me what happened before, which CW version and how many managed devices?

Best regards, Hartwig

Hi again !!

I understand what You mean. I have not received any login info yet, but once I receive it I will log on to the server and check what you asked me about, and I`ll let You know what is installed excat and which version.

So You`ll know about it !!

I like to share problems-solutions with people so there is no problems at all !!

Thank You for helping again !!

Best regards

but for know I only know that CPU and MEM usage grows right after the Cisco Works has been installed, which means nothing was configured at all........

So paging file or java could be a problem, but I`ll let You know !!

Hello again !!

Well now all I have seen on the server, the problem could be java.

In the process task manager I saw:

cwjava.exe opened 2 times and using :

cwjava.exe 91372 of mem

cwjava.exe 95336 of mem

than:

java.exe 26208 of mem

java.exe 13800 of mem

java.exe 33780 of mem

java.exe 299772 of mem

than:

tomcat.exe 322884

So we don``t need more than one cwjava.exe file and one java.exe isn`t corect ??

Any suggestions ??

Thank you

Best regards

Hello James,

more than one instance is perfectly OK. CiscoWorks has many processes running concurrently, and at least the different servers (RME, Campus Manager, Fault Manager..) use their own instance. I'll have a look at a customer's CW server when I'm there tomorrow, to see whether your memory totals are OK. But anyway, the given numbers add to less than one gig, so they shouldn't stall a 3gig server.

Regards

Hartwig

Hello James,

my productive CiscoWorks LMS 2.6.1 (75 managed devices) currently has

1x java.exe with 59288k

2x javaw.exe with 3700k and 8144k

34x cwjava.exe with mem from 228k up to 145976k

PerfMon reports a page file size of 3.21GB

and a Peak Commit Charge of 3549200 K

So I think the values you posted are perfectly ok.

By the way, are you sure your server OS exactly matches the specs with regards to service packs, language and locale (do NOT use anything other than US english!)

Regards

Hartwig

Hi again,

Sure the server matches all specs, all service packs are installed....

And I use only US English !

very wired problem

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: