cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2610MX Access

joseph.apato
Level 1
Level 1

I just took a job with the city near me at their Server Admin. The network guy left and now they have put the network stuff on my plate as well. I have a 2610MX available for testing/ learning but have not figured how to access this thing to get inside and see what is going on. I have the management cable hooled up (computer=serial, Router=RJ45) and figured I could get in thru Hyperterminal like other routers from other venders I have used in the past but it isn't working. Suggestions? Links with suggestions?

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Joseph, you still need to somehow get through the console.. perhaps you are not using the right console cable or hyperterminal settings.

Go over this link, not for password recovery but for the hyperterminal settings. Also there is some information in this link on the console cable requirements as it is very possible you may not have the right cable.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

Here are some general information on the 2600 series routers so that you may start getting familiar with the router's architecture .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_installation_guides_list.html

If still cannot get through drop a note and we'll try to help you out.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi Joseph,

The ex guy might have changed the console speed. If you are sure of the cable and hyper terminal/PC COM port settings, then try changing the speed. It takes some time but u will get connected once the correct speed of hyper terminal matches with the console speed configured in the router.

Rate if this helps...

Regards,

*aijaz*

Thanks for the input. The speed was off. Got in. I am buying up any books I can find and reading everything I can on this series and also on Pix Firewalls. Thanks a TON!

Thanks for all the input. It was the com speed. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the other link as well. I need to get up to speed on this super fast so I gladly accept any and all input and suggestions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card