cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7825 Basic HD Question

SAN J
Level 2
Level 2

My understanding is that a 7825 is cold standby - meaning you can't pull one of the mirrored drives out when the svr is running. That said, does anyone know how the system decides which drive to boot off of if drive 0 and drive 1 have different configs? Do i need to blow out the confgs off of one drive before inserting it so it doesn't mess up the system?

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The drives are still mirrored. You just cant pull out drives while it's running. (hot swappable) If 0 fails, you can shut down the server pull drive 0 out, pull drive 1 out, and insert drive 1 into the slot where drive 0 was. make sense?

If you shutdown the server, pull a drive out, and insert a new drive. The server will still boot up and then re-image the new drive or mirror it.

hope this helps

Thanks for the response. How would you go about in this scenario: if drive 0 and 1 are mirrored and drive 1 goes bad ansd the only other spare drive I have has existing configs on it already. Would I need to wipe out that spare drive first before inserting or is the system intelligent enough to know to wipe this out and mirror drive 0 to this spare drive?

Hello, I was wondering if you ever found an answer on this last thread? I have spare hard drives for my Unity server but there is data on them as they are from servers that have been decomissioned, moved, etc.

Thanks,

Jason

Not really. I ended up reformatting the spare drive first before inserting it as a mirrored drive. This works, but it does take time as you have to format the spare drive first...also takes longer downtime as well if you don't have a spare server...but it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: