WLAN Deployment (Assistance Needed)

Unanswered Question
Feb 8th, 2008

Hi,

Mine is a first WLAN deployment for our new office. The hardest part is to decide which AIRONET equipment to buy and how to design.

The office has three floors plus a basement. There will be about 50 users to be connected. We shall be using 802.11n NIC. I have zeroed on AIRONET1250 AP but could not design the network to my satisfaction.

So, can anyone suggest how many AP's are needed and what additional equipment is required?? Cost is no bar but performance and high throughput is required.

Thanks

kapil

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Fri, 02/08/2008 - 20:24

First of all, try to perform a site survey. You can survey using 802.11a and 802.11g. Once you have the coverage you want, I would agree with you with the 1252 ap's, but depending on how many ap's you require, go with a standalone wlc like the 4402-25, 4402-50, 4404-100, depending on how many ap's. Then when you have sized the wlc up, get another one for redundancy. If you really are looking for throughput, then might as well place them on a 10/100/1000 switch. The E-Series can supply power to these ap's, but it really is up to you. You can get AC adapters or even a power injector if your switch can't provide adequate power. There are very few antennas to choose from so make sure you know how these will be mounted before choosing the antennas.

oberoikapil Sat, 02/09/2008 - 00:54

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

I am planning to do a site survey as you said. I am using a 2950 switch but planning to use the AP's in autonomous mode (though it'll be more time cosuming). Going by a rough idea I think 6 AP's shall be required.

In case I require more assistance, I will surely post.

Thanks

Actions

This Discussion