cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about trace configuration

flash2200
Level 1
Level 1

Under CUCM Serviceability you can select "Configuration" from the "Trace" drop down menu and then go through the motions of setting trace filters, output settings, etc.

One thing that puzzles me is the checkmark box called "Trace On" because having this box checkmarked does NOT actually enable the trace.

I know that you have to actually turn traces on and off under the badly misnamed "Troubleshooting Trace Settings" menu option.

So question is what is the "Trace On" checkbox really for? The documentation I've read just says to check it and it seems to be checked by default for every service.

TIA

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Troubleshooting Trace Settings was meant to be used along with the trace gathering tool, it sets the most common fields for each kind of trace (CCM, CTI, etc)

it's not really a common way to enable them thru the trace settings but directly on each kind of trace

just look at this doc:

Set Up Cisco CallManager Traces for Cisco Technical Support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094e89.shtml

if you enable them thru Troubleshooting Trace Settings there is no need to use the trace on

if you do not enable them that way you need to use that parameter to turn them on or off

it'e checked for all thing because usually they're set at the lowest level possible only to log errors, we use them to troubleshoot issues but usually ask the level to detailed

HTH

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Always for TAC use the link Jaime provide above

Thanks very much... that clears it up for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: