Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed-up Saving in Router

microcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

May i ask if there any way i could speed up saving to NVRAM (startup config)?.

whenever i want to save either by typing wr or copy run start, the router take approximately 80-90 seconds, and that's no fun to me at all.

Please help if there is a means round-about this.

Thanking You all

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've noticed different Cisco routers models can take very different amounts of time to save config.

Agree that the slow ones are not fun while waiting, but have not tried to run issue down. However, depending on the size of you config, activation of config compression might help (or not). If supported, using a different flash format structure might help (or not).

Hello,

Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate further what you mean by the following and how to make this adjustments?.

1.depending on the size of you config.

2.activation of config compression might help..how?

3.using a different flash format structure might help (or not).....how do you do this?

Thnaks for your help,

Regards

Sure, although, again what I'm about to describe, unsure about its impact.

1) Size of config - i.e. how many bytes the config is. Even a router with just two interfaces, config could be very small the the most basic information or very large if you have something like massive ACLs (hundreds of lines) with embedded remarks, large route/class/policy maps, etc.

2) Config compression, "service compress-config", can be configured. Reduces the config's number of bytes when written. Of course, whatever time is saved by writing a smaller file to flash might be offset by the time to compress.

3) Different platforms have different flash filesystem support features. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a00800a7515.shtml and http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3700/software/configuration/guide/AppendB.html On many of the recent routers, you can format one way if you use "erase" and another if you use "format".

One other thought, have you tried reformatting your flash?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That doesn't sound right , I have never seen one that takes more than about 10 seconds at most and that includes cisco's biggest boxes . Reload times well thats a different story :-)

Agreed. I haven't encountered any that truly take 80 to 90 seconds (even if it sometimes seems that long). However, I have noticed some models do seem to take much longer than others to write a similar size config. Real time, maybe a second or two vs. four to six.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card