Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot use Internet on VPN connection

jaeseoklee4
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have used a cisco client ver. 4.0.3 installed in my laptop to connect to VPN server.

When my VPN client is connected to a remote VPN server through wired LAN at my site office, I cannot use Internet at the same time. I have understanded that this could not be possible unless "split tunnel" is allowed in the server side. When I connect to the server through Wi-Fi network at the same office, I can use Internet. It caused me to confuse, so I checked the default gateway IP address of my network using the "ipconfig" command. It showed the two IP address 10.100.128.1 and 10.100.128.2 for the wireless network connection, and one IP address 10.69.225.70 for the wired network connection.

How can you explin the above two situation? Did the two default gateways allow me to use Internet when my client is connected to the server through the wi-Fi network??? Did the disable "split tunnel" function in the VPN server block me form using Internet, connecting to the server through the wired network??? I don't think so. Why??

When my client is connected to VPN server through the Wi-Fi home network at my home which has only one default gateway, 192.168.0.1. I don't have any problem with using Internet. How can you explain this weird situation??? I really want to use Internet through both a wired and wireless network at other site office which have only one gateway respectively. Could you explain on this?

Thanks you so much...Jae

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are welcome, I hope we can fix all.

Combofix fixes malware entries that would corrupt your browser to malfunction. Winsockfix repairs the corruptions that may have caused by VPN software. But I dont know a corruption type that may cause http not to work and https to work.

Now let me understand the current issue. You can not connect to internet even the VPN is disconnected correct?

I have a couple of questions and need some outputs of diagnostics

1) I think you are in a hotel. Do you use wireless? May there be any quotas/restrictions by hotel management?

2) Connect via VPN. As you establish connection, right-click my network neighbors at desktop>Properties. Now right click Cisco VPN Adapter then click repair. Then disconnect your VPN client

3) After you disconnect VPN, do the same repair for your Local Area connection or Wireless connection. While VPN is disconnected, please run the following in command line

nslookup

www.google.com

then run

tracert 64.156.132.140

then run

route print

And post the outputs of these commands here.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jae

Things would get more odd when you use a really old verion of VPN client. I sugesst you to add the following command in VPN endpoint if it doesnt exist

crypto isakmp nat-traversal 20

Second thing is, make sure your access point supports VPN passthrough, if it supports then make sure it is enabled

Third and the most important, uninstall currently installed VPN client software and install a 5.x version

Regards

Thanks, can you more explain about "crypto isakmp nat-traversal 20". I am not sure what is it and where to put it?

I think I enabled VPN passthrough at the router because I can always make connection to VPN server.

I'll try new version...Thanks...Jae

Hello,

I downloaded VPN client 5.0 free posted from some university, (not my company) website on Internet. After installing the program, host name, connection entry, other setting of the univeristy are shown and populated in. so I changed it to my company own setting and then try to connect to the VPN server. But it doesn't get connected. The program said that "no connected". Where should I download VPN client 5.0. Is there anything to know before I install it. I mean should I download and install a VPN client distributed by our company? Thanks for your help...Jae

You can download the software from following link by logging in your cco account

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/windows

I tryed to download the vpn client, but the following message is shown.

'There are currently no files for this type.'

How can I download vpn client? thanks..

Also I cannot have access to Internet after installing wrong vpn client as I said. Do you why..Please help me...

If uninstalling/reinstalling caused computer not to connect to internet, run the following tool on the computer

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

then download the following file. it will ask you to enter your cco account. If you dont have one, you can not download it

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Tablebuild/doftp.pl?ftpfile=cisco/crypto/3DES/vpn/client/windows/vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.02.0090-k9.exe&app=Tablebuild&status=showC2A

i tried to install winsockxpfix.exe. but i got error message 'winsockxpfix.exe is not a valid win32 application. i cannot install it.

i also tried to download vpn clinet. i filled everything in the registration field, but i got the following error message.

please help me..

Error: 104

Download not permitted (Do not bookmark this URL.)

Our apologies, but your user profile indicates that you are not entitled to download software of this type.

"Error: 104

Download not permitted (Do not bookmark this URL.)

"

That means your cco account is not authorized to download software, so you have to go on with using the one you download from university page. But first, you should handle the following issue

"'winsockxpfix.exe is not a valid win32 application."

Try downloadig again. If error persists, that means your computer is infected by a virus. Run antivirus software to remove.

thanks husy

i succeed downloading'winsockxpfix.exe from another site. i installed it, but still cannot have access to internet...jae

husy,

my laptop said that i am connected to my wireless router, a window update is working. it means my laptop is connected to internet. this seems to be my web browser problem....please advice..jae

Husy,

I installed Internet Explore 7, but still cannot have acccess to Internet..Please help me. Jae

Jae

Make sure you uninstalled any VPN client software version

Is your wireless adapter obtaining IP address automatically? Please post the ipconfig /all output

Click Start>Run>nslookup . type www.google.com then www.hotmail.com and post here the output

In internet explorer properties, in connections tab, make sure no fake proxy is entered

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: