cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH question 6509 hybrid

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If we turn off telnet on both the layer 2 side catos and the layer 3 msf side will we still be able to session up to the layer 3 side from the layer 2 side . I do not see any kind of SSH command on the catos side nor is it part of the "session" command . Is this just considered an internal session and will get to the msf ok even though we have telnet disabled ? I always thought the session command was a telnet command internally. I will probably try it on a lab box to see but I was just wondering if anyone knew ?

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Glen

I do not have an authoritative answer and testing in the lab is certainly what you need to do. But I would be very surprised if turning off telnet impacted the ability to session from the switch side to the MSFC. It does feel a bit like a telnet connection but I believe that it is a separate kind of connection.

When you do test it please post back so that we know the real answer.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

About 5 years ago, someone at GroupStudy asked the same question:

http://www.groupstudy.com/archives/ccielab/200306/msg01005.html

Not sure if has changed since then, doubt it..

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison ,not really what I wanted to hear and I'll still test it out . You would think there would be something code wise that would take SSH into account.

Here's the definitive answer , the answer is if you just enable SSH on both the mls layer2 side and the msf layer 3 side and you restrict telnet with the transport input SSH command , it does break your ability to session into the layer 3 side from the catos side. Not happy about that , means if you if have to work on both sides you have to have 2 separate sessions going to to the work . if you try to session you will get this message,

Console> (enable) ses 15

Trying Router-15...

session: Unable to tunnel to Router-15 (57)

Glen

Thanks for testing and providing a definitive answer. Rated as deserved.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Glen,

Pretty much identical from the posting at GroupStudy 5 years ago :)

No much has changed on good old CatOS ...

Good job testing this not-well documented feature.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: