cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which router for 200 users

yrichard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi... I need to get a router but am unsure of which model to purchase. I will have about 200 users going through the router. The WAN side will be 10M and the LAN side can be 10/100. I also want to be able to put a switchport card in.

I was looking at the 2811 but I can't find any information as to how many users this model will support.

Thanks in advance

Yolande

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's a bit difficult to answer your question because you note 200 users without defining what's the expected traffic per user, and you also mention the need for a switchport card (how many ports?).

You do note the WAN side will be 10 M(bs) (Ethernet?) and the LAN side 10/100. According to a Cisco performance sheet often seen on these forums (and attached), the 2811 can push about 61 Mbps, also with no services. (Also remember to half that for two way traffic). I recall seeing, but can't find a reference, the 2811 supporting dual T1 links by Cisco. If true, you probably can count on at least 3 Mbps but perhaps as much as 30 Mbps for duplex traffic. I suspect a 2811 could probably handle your 10 Mbps WAN.

PS:

If your WAN will be Ethernet, you might also consider Metro Ethernet L3 switches or even some LAN L3 switches, e.g. Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC.

View solution in original post

Yes, beside "number of users" is just meant to be a quick indication to non-technical people to help them understand why you buy a big router for large branch and a small one for home-office. I know it sounds obvious :)

Here attached a doc with perf in pps.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's a bit difficult to answer your question because you note 200 users without defining what's the expected traffic per user, and you also mention the need for a switchport card (how many ports?).

You do note the WAN side will be 10 M(bs) (Ethernet?) and the LAN side 10/100. According to a Cisco performance sheet often seen on these forums (and attached), the 2811 can push about 61 Mbps, also with no services. (Also remember to half that for two way traffic). I recall seeing, but can't find a reference, the 2811 supporting dual T1 links by Cisco. If true, you probably can count on at least 3 Mbps but perhaps as much as 30 Mbps for duplex traffic. I suspect a 2811 could probably handle your 10 Mbps WAN.

PS:

If your WAN will be Ethernet, you might also consider Metro Ethernet L3 switches or even some LAN L3 switches, e.g. Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC.

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I read your posting and with the information you provided, I agree with the previous poster a multilayer switch sounds like it would work better. On the 6500 series you have the ability to had modules with up to 48 swichport, you can configuer trunking, portfast, uplink fast, tacacs and so much more on one chassis. Have a look at the link I posted below, i hope it is helpful.

From Cisco

The 9-slot Cisco Catalyst 6509-E Switch provides high port densities that are ideal for many wiring closet, distribution, and core network as well as data center deployments. The Cisco Catalyst 6509-E supports Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series end-to-end operational consistency benefits.

Important Features

Supports all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series modules, including:

Supervisor engines

Fast Ethernet modules (with IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet [PoE])

Gigabit Ethernet modules (with IEEE 802.3af PoE)

10 Gigabit Ethernet modules

Flex WAN modules

Shared Port Adaptors/SPA Interface Processors

Multi-Gigabit services modules (content services ,firewall, intrusion detection, IP Security [IPSec], VPN, network analysis, and Secure Sockets Layer [SSL] acceleration)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/configuration/guide/6000_cfg.pdf

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, number of users really doesn't matter, the router doesn't have a limit in that.

If WAN is only 10mbps, you can use even a small 1801 or 871 for that. The 1801 comes with an 8-ports switchport, the 871 has a 4-ports.

Thanks for your response. I thought it did have a limit. When I looked at some of data sheets for the routers, it would specify for 10 users... for 50 users. These were obviously for the smaller soho type routers. As you move into the isr's, the number of recommended users is no longer discussed.

Thanks,

Yolande

Yes, beside "number of users" is just meant to be a quick indication to non-technical people to help them understand why you buy a big router for large branch and a small one for home-office. I know it sounds obvious :)

Here attached a doc with perf in pps.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco