Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with 7200 Series

krybabie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a 7200 series Router and I have just had a wierd crash...

Debug from console @ crash time attached below - Any ideas ???

Thanks

Malcolm

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Malcolm

In IOS a traceback is an indication that the software has detected a problem. Sometimes the traceback is for an issue that has little impact and sometimes the traceback is for more serious issues. I gather that this traceback is more serious. Frequently the traceback is caused by software issues and sometime it reflects a hardware issue. I can not tell from this which one it might be.

If you have access to the Cisco site you might put your output into the output interpreter or the error decoder and see if it can tell you more about it.

If you have a maintenance contract on the router you should open a case with Cisco TAC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I was thinking it is either a Software (Update needed) type issue or rather a physical interface problem.

I am inclined to think that it is a physical problem as this unit has been working fine for a number of weeks and only in the last week has needed rebooting twice - that said, if it were a physical problem would we not see upon reboot a physical interface debug/error message.... I have seen nothing of the sort.

I am worried about upgrading the IOS as I need to find the "next step" up version as apposed to a mjor change and am busy on the phone to Cisco now trying to organise download/purchase of that.

Hope that all makes sense

Regards

Malcolm

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact IOS are you using? You might need an upgrade.

Copy of sh ver below:

Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-IK9O3S-M), Version 12.3(14)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Thanks

Malcolm

Hi, suggest you upgrade to the very stable 12.4(3j).

It is in the pipeline - however a big version change will require a test environment and this router is in production.

I have upgraded from T5 to T7 for now.

I hope that makes it a bit more stable...

Regards

Malcolm

Hi, don't take this as a personal critique, but a bit more information about what a "new version is" would be beneficial for your organization.

You have 12.3 T in which new features are introduced version after version. At some point the process stops and the result is called 12.4 in which very limited features are introduced. Then by testing or whatever other method cisco decides that 12.4(3j) is the the most suited for general use and in fact it is what the new routers are shipped for. the j means that there have been a-b-c-d-e-f-g-h-i releases before, each one consisting of bug fixes only.

So, using that on a router is a safe choice and not a "big version change".

In my experience I've seen that many times, customers exithating in upgrade, getting the consequences of bugs in the meanwhile.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: