cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Services Controller Usage?

ammorrison
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Network, twenty proposed wireless access points, (Cisco 1240AG's), and I'm trying to explain to the "management", why I would like to use a Wireless network controller like the 3750G-24WS and operate the access points as LWAPP's vs operating them autonomously on a regular POE switch with no wireless-aware features?

Could someone please help me shed some light on how I justify the benefits of managing a cluster of LWAPPS's or just a bunch of autonomous access points?

HELP!

-Thanks!

MorganMorrison

5 Replies 5

mike
Level 1
Level 1

For one, the LWAPs are no-touch deploy. That is, you unwrap them, carry them to the location, and plug them in. Voila, you're done (with some limitations).

tmiller888
Level 1
Level 1

Security - LWAPs are more secure because the encrption keys and configs reside on the controller and not the APs.

Price - look for a bundle package from your rep.

All the above plus my thoughts:

Easy to manage since firmware and configuration comes form the controller. Having to manage each individula ap is time consuming. You can monitor all ap's and clients through the WLC. You have the ability for the ap's to choose the best channel and power setting, which allows an ap to increase its power if one of the neighbor ap's is down. Of course, this depends on how close your ap's are.

Autonomous is old school.... haha

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ammorrison
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the information. Yes all the AP's are in close proximity, presently there's 21, 1240AG's being installed in a private yacht that's 223ft overall. We need so many because there are numerous 1/4-3/8 inch thick steel and or aluminum walls (on all sides). I understand how much EASIER it would make my life, but dumbing it down to make a non-tech person understand it is as most of you know, an exercise in frustration.

Thank you everyone for your help!

You will have alot of issues due to the steel and aluminum just to for warn you. Just search on rf multipath issues.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card