Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic AP Channel Configuration By A WiSM

dholder
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I am having a problem with the auto channel configuration by a WiSM at one of my sites. We are running version 4.1.185, and I am seeing AP's in the same hallway on the same channel. This is causing an issue for our IP phone deployment. Has anyone else experceinced the same issues? Are you hardcoding the channels?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Holde

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It is under WIRELESS | 802.11b/g/n | AUTO RF. You can also change it in 802.11a/n. If you still have issues, then hard set the channels.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

The auto channel configuration should work well. I have this setting enabled in my network and have not seen this issue. Can you post the configuration on the WiSM so that we can troubleshoot further?

wififofum
Level 4
Level 4

Dave,

You may be suffering from an over-excited RRM. This may be triggered by excessive rogue APs in your environment, or by having the RRM RSSI threshold set too high in a dense deployment. These conditions may cause RRM to overreact, resulting in a race condition where it keeps shuffling the channels in response to perceived interference (exacerbated by coverage hole correction), never reaching a satisfactory arrangement. The APs also have a preference for channels 1 and 36 on bootup. As a

test, remove Rogue APs contribution to Auto-RF, then change the transmit power threshold from the -67 default to -71 to calm things down.

Where can I find these parameters? This sounds like a lot of the problem. This is a dense deployment. Probably too dense. My peer was a little worried about the VoIP deployment.

Thanks,

Dave

It is under WIRELESS | 802.11b/g/n | AUTO RF. You can also change it in 802.11a/n. If you still have issues, then hard set the channels.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: