Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 switching to DR site

luthierone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a dr/colo site with a 50 meg fiber connection back to our office. We had to make it an extension of our existing layer 2 network because of limitations of particular server products. So basically we have a switch at each side that switches layer 2 traffic to and from the colo. we also have a 6 meg internet connection that we wanted to incorporate into the mix for redundancy and load-balancing. I used linux and openvpn to accomplish transporting layer 2 traffic across the internet. So we have 2 connections to our dr site: 50 meg fiber and 6 meg multi frame and the solution works beautifully from a fail over standpoint. However, we would like to load balance traffic over the two so that our 6 meg isn't just sitting idle all day. Is there any way to accomplish this even though its just a layer 2 network?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello luthier,

you can take advantage of per vlan STP if you are using multiple VLANs you can make a path preferred for one vlan and the other for another VLAN but this is not true load balancing is a way to use both physical links.

I don't know if this applies to your case

HTH

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please provide your complete network diagram.

regards

skrao

Here it is. Thanks.

Any ideas or info that I could be pointed to?

I have it set and I'm just using stp for now...but that wastes the other link. Is this something I could use:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/15.html

Hello luthier,

you can take advantage of per vlan STP if you are using multiple VLANs you can make a path preferred for one vlan and the other for another VLAN but this is not true load balancing is a way to use both physical links.

I don't know if this applies to your case

HTH

Giuseppe

OK thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card