Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 switching to DR site

luthierone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a dr/colo site with a 50 meg fiber connection back to our office. We had to make it an extension of our existing layer 2 network because of limitations of particular server products. So basically we have a switch at each side that switches layer 2 traffic to and from the colo. we also have a 6 meg internet connection that we wanted to incorporate into the mix for redundancy and load-balancing. I used linux and openvpn to accomplish transporting layer 2 traffic across the internet. So we have 2 connections to our dr site: 50 meg fiber and 6 meg multi frame and the solution works beautifully from a fail over standpoint. However, we would like to load balance traffic over the two so that our 6 meg isn't just sitting idle all day. Is there any way to accomplish this even though its just a layer 2 network?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello luthier,

you can take advantage of per vlan STP if you are using multiple VLANs you can make a path preferred for one vlan and the other for another VLAN but this is not true load balancing is a way to use both physical links.

I don't know if this applies to your case

HTH

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please provide your complete network diagram.

regards

skrao

Here it is. Thanks.

Any ideas or info that I could be pointed to?

I have it set and I'm just using stp for now...but that wastes the other link. Is this something I could use:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/15.html

Hello luthier,

you can take advantage of per vlan STP if you are using multiple VLANs you can make a path preferred for one vlan and the other for another VLAN but this is not true load balancing is a way to use both physical links.

I don't know if this applies to your case

HTH

Giuseppe

OK thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card