cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection drops between 4500 and 6500 switch

dhua
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I hope someone can help with this. we have 2 buidings that were recently connected by lasers. The lasers are connected to thier respective switches in each bulding. Building 1's laser is connected to a 6509 switch running catos software Version NmpSW: 6.4(21) Through gbics. Building 2's Laser is connected to a 4505 switch running software IOS Version 12.2(25) gbics. Since these buildings were connected we have been experiencing intermittent drops in connection 2-3 times an hour. Both switch ports are enabled Full-duplex. During a show tech these errors are reported:

CrcAlign-Err 294

Symbol-Err 7275310

Undersize 4054

Jabbers 18

Sequence-Err 6008107

The 6509 switch shows FCS-Err 81

I have been told that this is a fiber problem. Could it also be that the 6509 catos needs to be updated?

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade the OS version on the 6509 and see if it fixes the problem or better yet, during a maintenance window get another switch (if you have any spare) and replace the 6509 end for an hour.

However, I do believe it's a fiber problem.

__

Edison.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its either a fiber or a gbic problem with a weak laser .

I had the same kind of issue before with the similar errors.. Its physical issue. Replace to GBIC (as long as inhouse fiber is good).

It will fix it.

hth

MS

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card