cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1720 - static IP addresses to computer in LAN...?

superwormy
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 1720, 8 static IP addresses. Each of those IP addresses will need to be assigned to a specific machine on our LAN.

Is there anything specific/special I need to setup on the Cisco 1720 to make this happen? The setup looks like this:

Cisco 1720 -> Linksys Router -> Switch -> Computer1, Computer2, Computer3, etc.

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your Linksys needs to forward DHCP requests to the 1720, which I don't know if it can or not. What is the purpose of the Linksys, it looks like it may be able to be removed?

The Cisco 1720 is a managed router, I'd prefer not to have to go through AT&T everytime I need to mess with DHCP. I need the Linksys also for wireless access.

Can I setup the Linksys to hand out DHCP leases to the LAN machines, and have the Linksys act in Bridge mode instead of Router mode?

Ideally I guess, the Cisco would use NAT to assign all 8 static IP addresses to an internal LAN address (192.168.1.x). Then, all I have to do to make a computer available to the outside world is plug the computer in and assign it one of those NATed internal LAN static IP addresses.

Does that make sense?

That's one way for sure. I don't think you'll be able to bridge the Linksys since it's also a WAP. If the Linksys is a firewall of some sort, you could have AT&T bridge the 1720 and then the Linksys would control the public IP's and provide static IP's to your internal hosts.

Recently I just did one like this setup. Cisco 1720 router handles static nat and DHCP, but the switch will be connected to Cisco router 1720, and the computers and Linksys are connected to the switch. The Linksys can be acted as wireless access point. One thing I don't like is you need to configure nating as linksys. For example,

1720 router is assigned 10.10.10.0/24 and the Linksys for wireless is assignd 20.20.20.0/24.

Static nat will be like this:

ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.2 12.156.185.145

Hope it helps you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: