Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC issue

nomair_83
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

Im trying to connect fiber cable between 2 3550 switches but it shows me this error:00:32:37: %GBIC-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: GBIC EEPROM data check sum failed for GBIC interface Gi0/2

00:32:37: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in port 25 has bad crc

00:32:37: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi0/2, putting Gi0/2 in err-disable state

00:35:21: %GBIC-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: GBIC EEPROM data check sum failed for GBIC interface Gi0/1

00:35:22: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in port 24 has bad crc

00:35:22: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi0/1, putting Gi0/1 in err-disable state

2 Replies 2

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

Wow,

I'd guess a bad GBIC, replace it,

Per Cisco:

1. %GBIC-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: GBIC EEPROM data check sum failed for GBIC interface [chars].

This message means that the GBIC module was identified as a Cisco GBIC module, but the system was unable to read vendor-data information to verify its accuracy. [chars] is the interface in which the module is installed.

Recommended Action: Remove and re-insert the GBIC module. If it continues to fail after re-insertion, it might be defective.

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi, taking an educated guess, I would say that the data is being corrupted as it traverses the trunk link. hence the bad CRC check. Failed CRCs usually indicate a physical hardware issue that results in a degradation of the signal's integrity (data corruption).

Anyway, check the link below for troubleshooting 3550 switch problems, including system error messages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/tsd_products_support_troubleshoot_and_alerts.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card