cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

changes to active policy-map

e.maloney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks, does anyone know, if, you make changes to an active policy-map, do you need to remove and re-apply the service-policy statement it refers to on an interface for the changes to take effect?

Thanks!

- TM

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

From my experience, the answer is no. You should be able to edit the policy without having to bounce its application at the interface -- unless, of course, you have changed the name of the policy map, in which case you would have to edit the name at the interface. This is similiar to the way it is done with access lists.

HTH

Thanks! I felt that was the case, but was unsure. I thought at one point the policy-map was placed into memory for faster processing, therefor bypassing the config once it's applied. But I think I'm thinking of something else.

Thanks for you input!

- TM

One situation I have encountered, if you are using bandwidth defined in absolute rates, not percentages, and exceed the bandwidth of the interface where the policy is applied, it will drop the policy.

Similar issue with bundles where insufficient bandwidth if part of the bundle drops. Policy does not automatically come back with the bundle member.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card