cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enhanced or E911

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco SRND states that Call Manager can be configured to provide E911 Services without Cisco CER servers, but it will require to manually change the database if users are moved around. Dynamic Move/Add/Change can only be possible with CER Applications.

This could be dangerous if Administrator doesn't udpate the database in case there was a change, and if emergency occurs then 911 operators may end up in a wrong location.

I am not sure if I should offer or recommend this feature to our clients regardless they take full responsibility of manually updating the database. I feel it would be better for customers to go with basic 911 instead of E911 without CER servers.

Need some recommendations from the forum users.

Regards,

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Abbas,

I'm not sure that you really have a choice here regarding implementing 911 vs E911 services. If a PSAP supports E911 (Which most if not all in North America do) then that is what will be used for that PSAP Area.

In your design question we have to look at whether IP Phones/Users have the ability to move between different geographical areas (nice example in attached Cisco doc) if yes, then the design must incorporate this when considering 911 calls. A service like CER is almost a must and may even be mandated in some areas.

If these IP Phones are going to be in the same location or Campus then this becomes less of an issue and simple DID with the proper Street Address will suffice.

Here is some reference material;

Emergency Services

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/e911.html

Enhanced 911

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E911

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for the Docs. It means that if company doesn't have CER or any other third party E911 applications, then the only way to provide E911 or CER type of Services if it is offered by the PSAP. Correct !

I know that Cisco CER can support the emergency services up to the cubicle level meaning if a user dials 911 the PSAP's can exactly locate where the emeregency occured such as what building/Floor/Cubicle etc.

Are the same services offered by other E911 applications or even without any enhanced applications if the PSAP offers E911 Services remotely.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: