cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6548V-GE-TX Question

nguyenvinnie
Level 1
Level 1

I was recommended by Cisco to have module WS-X6548V-GE-TX in our future 6500 series switch. My vendor is saying that this module does not show up in the configurator, it shows up as a spare part only. Any ideas what does that mean?

3 Replies 3

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

That blade went End-of-Sale two weeks ago, which is why you can no longer purchase it. The official replacement part is the WS-X6548-GE-45AF.

HTH

Andrew.

Thanks for your help Andrew.

I have one more question, Is there a reason to have both WS-X6548V-GE-TX and WS-X6548-GE-45AF on 6500 series switch? It was recommended and configured on the P.O by our sale rep.

Hi,

There are two types of PoE support, Cisco's "Pre-Standard" and the IEEE 802.3af standard. Both cards support Cisco's "pre-standard" but to support IEEE 802.3af the old card needed a daughter-card upgrade.

So, why would you need both? No reason at all as the new card supports both types of PoE. Not only that, but I believe the new card is cheaper than the old one (if you need 802.3af and have to buy the daughter card as well.)

It's all somewhat academic as the old card is End-of-Sale (as of 30th Jan 2008) so you can't buy it through official channels anymore.

HTH

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card