cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BFD for LDP

slandreth
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any BFD support for LDP? I am running 7606 and sup720 routers with 12.2(33)SRB2 code; supporting a OSPF, BGP, and MPLS network. There is BFD support for OSPF and BGP; however I have not seen anything in the documentation for support of LDP.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Reply 1

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To my knowledge there is no BFD support for LDP. Actually I do not see the benefit of having BFD support for LDP, as BFD will usually be used for fast link down detection to allow IGPs and BGP to reroute quickly around the failed link. LDP is not in charge of rerouting.

Mainly today the LDP session between two LSR will be maintained even if the link between the two LSR is down.

This offers an advantage, when the link is restored and avoids unwanted black holing of labeled traffic after link recovery.

The feature is either called "targeted LDP session" or "LDP session protection".

For further reading and explanation of the idea and benefits have a look at e.g.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804553f8.html

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin