Views
Helpful
Replies

Automate switch/router configuration backup

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

Just wondering if it is possible to atuomate the backup of a Router/Switches configuration?

e.g Every night at 01:00 to have the configuration copied to a tftp/ftp server, so a copy of the config is available in case of a router/switch failure.

Best Regards & TIA,

Michael

4 Replies 4

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

Ok, replying to my own post, but I have googled and found the "Kiwi Cat Tools" application.

Thsi allows me to pull the configuration of the Cisco Routers and Switches.

However I would still be interested in finding out if it is possible to have a Router/Switch ftp/tftp/scp its running or startup configuration to a server rather than having to pull the config off of the Router/Switch.

Best Regards,

Michael

I believe recent IOSs, at least on routers, have some embedded scripting capability (TCL?). If something like a CRON is supported, it might be possible to have the device backup itself. However, no first hand experience, so don't know whether this is possible.

Hi Joseph

Cheers, I'll look into this option.

Best Regards,

Michael

agonza07
Level 1
Level 1

Never really tried this but worth a look at:

Configuring the Configuration Archive

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080454f8c.html

Looks like you can set the path to a tftp and then set the time to backup your config by minutes (1-525600) [1min - 365 days]

Configuration Archive

The Cisco IOS configuration archive is intended to provide a mechanism to store, organize, and manage an archive of Cisco IOS configuration files in order to enhance the configuration rollback capability provided by the configure replace command. Before this feature was introduced, you could save copies of the running configuration using the copy running-config destination-url command, storing the replacement file either locally or remotely. However, this method lacked any automated file management. On the other hand, the Configuration Replacement and Configuration Rollback feature provides the capability to automatically save copies of the running configuration to the Cisco IOS configuration archive. These archived files serve as checkpoint configuration references and can be used by the configure replace command to revert to previous configuration states.

The archive config command allows you to save Cisco IOS configurations in the configuration archive using a standard location and filename prefix that is automatically appended with an incremental version number (and optional timestamp) as each consecutive file is saved. This functionality provides a means for consistent identification of saved Cisco IOS configuration files. You can specify how many versions of the running configuration will be kept in the archive. After the maximum number of files has been saved in the archive, the oldest file will be automatically deleted when the next, most recent file is saved. The show archive command displays information for all configuration files saved in the Cisco IOS configuration archive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card