Helpful
Replies

Is CiscoWorks LMS 3.0 64 bits?

ahajivandi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

A few questions came up to me during investment plan CiscoWorks:

- Is CiscoWorks an "64 bits" application?

- The quad-core cpu's are not mentioned in the documentation! Is this CPU not supported?

- The SunSparc CPU's, which mentioned in the HW requirements, are only supported CPU's?

Regards,

-Aryan

14 Replies 14

derek.sizeland
Level 1
Level 1

Aryan,

I can answer your first question, currently CiscoWorks is 32 bit only.

Are you planning to use Windows or Solaris?

Derek,

Thanks for your reply. I have proposed Solaris 10, used right motivation.

Regards,

-Aryan

According to the release notes:

Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition

Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 2003 Server.

Not sure if that means it'll run on 64bit or not, or if there are any performance gains...

I was told by TAC that LMS 3.0 is 32-bit and LMS 3.0.1 (Dec 2007 update) is 64-bit. You first install 3.0 on 2003 Sever 64-bit and then immediately install the Dec 2007 update. Then you can run the program.

This is incorrect. LMS is composed of 32-bit binaries, even in LMS 3.0.1. However, in LMS 3.0.1 we support running LMS on 64-bit Windows. The binaries still have 32-bit memory limitations, but the configuration is supported. We have supported running 32-bit LMS on a 64-bit Solaris kernel since Solaris became 64-bit.

have any performance tests been done to compare the 32bit vs 64bit? Any improved stability etc?

No comparison testing was done between the two architectures. Given that we are not taking advantage of 64-bit addresses, I don't anticipate much of a gain in either performance or stability.

However, at least on Windows using 64bit you can have >4G RAM without needing to license the Enterprise version of W2k3sR2.

Great news on the official support in LMS v3.0.1; 64bit was in plan - I was a bit worried.

Now I can sleep easier.

Unanswered until now is if the quad-core ( Intel Core2 Quad or AMD PhenomX4 ) cpu's are supported or not for LMS3.0.1.

Yes, they are supported.

shouldn't make any difference; I'd expect HAL in the OS to abstract it. it's an OS question... I wouldn't worry too much.

to have LMS running on 64-bit Windows, is it necessary to have the LMS 3.0.1 DVDs (binaries that include the dec2007 update) or is it possible to have a 64-bit Windows installation, install LMS 3.0 and then install all the latest patches to get LMS 3.0.1?

You can install LMS 3.0 on 64-bit Windows, reboot, then immediately upgrade to LMS 3.0.1, and reboot again.

Thanks for the quick help!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: