cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

857w Unable to obtain DHCP address over WLAN

DavidBloor
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured my 857w via combination of the SDM and CLI.

As it stands I have two issues:

1.Unable to obtain DHCP address over WLAN

2. MSN messenger is unable to connect.

Attached is my config.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

3 Replies 3

sadbulali
Level 4
Level 4

Paste the following config:

show run

show vlan

show interface f0/x switchport

show interface f0/x trunk

show spanning-tree interface f0/x

'Where f0/x is the interface that the Airespace controller is attached'.

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi David

I spent last weekend working on configurng both a Cisco 837 and 877 ADSL rotuer to access my ISP. This was the first time I have ever tried this and I also posted on the forum looking for help.

I received some extremely helpful replies from a forum member "Edison Ortiz" with links to documents which help with this configuration and with troubleshooting problems.

The post appears to have vanished (at least I can't find it. However here are the links provided by Edison

For configuration: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a729.shtml

For Troubleshooting: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a7c2.shtml

Now I am no expert at this as I said above but looking at your configuration, something that I did notice was that there are no global Point to Point over ethernet (pppoe) parameters configured (see section 4 on the configuration link).

In the configs that worked fro me over the weekend, I had the following lines of configuration.

On the 837 which received an IP address from the ISP dynamically:

vpdn enable

!

vpdn-group 1

!

request-dialin

protocol pppoe

!

On the 877 which has a static IP address assigned by ISP:

vpdn enable

!

vpdn-group 1

Your configuration looks pretty complex (to me anyway) and there are parts of this I don't quite understand. However if it was at all possible, it maybe worth while (if the addition of the pppoe parameters don't work) to start with a simpler configuration and then when you have all the basics working, adding the rest of the configuration back in.

This post http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cbf9965 shows the configuration that worked on my 837 router with dynamic IP address assignment from ISP.

Maybe this will help a little.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Hi David

You can probably ignore most of what is above.

I read the title of your original post as "Unable to obtain IP address over WAN" when you actually wrote "WLAN"

Best Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card