cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Full BGP routing using Supervisor 6E ?

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Can full BGP routing be done using a Supervisor 6E (upgraded to 1GB) on a catalyst 4500? We would get 2 full BGP feeds from 2 upstream providers.

Works fine on a Cat 6500 with Sup2/MSFC2 both upgraded to 512MB.

I know that the datasheet of the Sup6E states a maximum of 256K IPv4 routing entries. However I do not knwo if this is with 512MB of 1 GB on the Supervisor.

Christian

9 Replies 9

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Should be 512MB for a simple setup (i.e. BGP/IGP, STP). However, as you enable more feature/module that is known to consume lots of memory (plan and monitor before doing so), you need to upgrade to 1GB.

Regards,

Dandy

Though with 1Gb memory it should be able to support a full routing table, i would recommend not to use them on a 4500

45xx chassis are prone to high CPU utilization and with 2 full BGP peering i would consider it a risk

Narayan

I thought the new Supervisor 6E is doing hardware based routing.

Datasheet says: "Layer 3 hardware-based IP Cisco Express Forwarding routing at 250 Mpps"

Christian

Hi,

You need the memory for routing table.

Regards,

Dandy

Dandy,

I understand that I need the memory for the routing tables.

However the previous poster warned about high CPU usage on the 4500, but to my understanding the Sup6E is doing hardware based routing so CPU usage should not be an issue.

I know for sure that the Sup720BXL can do all we need but the Sup6E has all the features we require and would be adequate to our needs. I only need to be sure the Sup6A can handle 2 full BGP feeds without any problems when upgraed to 1GB of RAM.

Christian

Memory is not going to buy more routes, the number is 256k entries in the routing table (shared between unicast and multicast).

Sorry, but this system is not designed for this kind of task.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps9294/product_data_sheet0900aecd806df543_ps4324_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Christian,

Even a SuPV does hardware based routing with the help of CEF.

As Edison suggested, this is not the platform i would choose for these type of requirements

Narayan

I guess we have to go with a Sup720BXL.

thanks,

Christian

Now you are talking :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: