Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS : ISC problem

David Coupez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I noticed in CSS11500 documentation Cisco advice not using level 2 devices for Inter-Switch Communication (see at link at the end). After sniffing, it appears ISC works with broadcasted ethernet frames.

So how should we proceed to link two redundant content switch distant from several kilometers ?

My problem is, in spite of cisco recommandations, I've linked CSS through two C65xx. Link works but become down for a very short time periodically (each 10 minutes).

This seems to have no incidence on reliability...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11000series/v6.10/configuration/advanced/guide/ASR.html#wp1038263

Thank you,

David

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the protocol was design for short distance and L2 connection.

This is why we recommend to not use switches to interconnect CSS ISC link.

It may work with switches but there is no guarantee.

Gilles.

Ok thus how Cisco recommand to handle separated CSS distant from several kilometers?

David

David,

there is no recommendation as the protocol was not created for long distance (meaning several kilometers).

Gilles.

Oh... so a cisco backup CSS can never be a real backup if CSS have to be in the same room to work... What's happend in case of fire ?

My company owns 11 CSS and they are too critical to regroup them. So I think cisco should investigate this problem as soon as possible!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: