Which of these should I use for a CCNA lab?

Unanswered Question
Feb 12th, 2008

I am looking to setup a lab so I can start training for a CCNA. I have access to the following list of equipment and would like to know what should use in a lab environment.

1 - Cisco 2503

1 - Cisco 2501

2 - Cisco 2620

1 - Cisco 2620XM

1 - Cisco 2612

1 - Cisco 2524

2 - Cisco 2900XL

2 - Cisco 2900

1 - Cisco PIX 506E

And as far as study material:

What books do you recommend?

And are the TrainSignal CBT videos worth getting?

Please keep in mind that my level of Cisco equipment is very minimal if even worth mentioning! 8|

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dbeare Wed, 02/13/2008 - 07:33

Wow, you have a nice amount of equipment to work with. I would probably advise using the 2501 as your frame switch, as it has multiple serial ports built in. The 2600 routers are all good to use as well, and you could probably easily use all of the routers to build a nice sized lab environment. The only piece of equipment you really won't get any use out of on the CCNA is the PIX firewall, as the materials don't touch it.

As far as study material, I would recommend the Sybex CCNA book by Todd Lammle, along with the 2 Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 books. These, along with your equipment, should allow for a lot of good study material.

I've personally never used any of the video series, I used the books along with some equipment and took an ICND class to prepare. You should be on a good road with what you have though. Best of luck.

roujinz01 Thu, 02/14/2008 - 17:51

Awesome!

Do any of the books you mentioned come with study guides? And what about practice questions? Are these provided in the books or is there a separate place to get them?

Thanks for the advice!

Actions

This Discussion